back on Win98

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by vniow, Apr 21, 2003.

1. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    I was screwing around with Mandrake 9.1 on my PC yesterday and somehow I screwed up the bootloader on my 80GB drive (which also housed my Windows XP Pro partition) so I couldn't boot into XP anymore (which I needed to get onto the internet with, Linux never liked any of my modems....)

So I tried messing around with lilo and bootloaders to save the partition I thought, I can just reinstall if this is screwed beyone repair, but I couldn't save it so I looked around for my XP disc and it wasn't where I thought it was, so I basically tore apart my cabinets looking for it, but I never could find it.

My PC's the only computer I have that's usable for what I do (the iBook is just too slow) but luckily (?) I had a Win98 disc laying around so I installed it and now I'm looking at Macrumors in state-of-the-art 16 colors and 640x480 resolution baby! (no drivers for video card)
  2. guitargeek macrumors regular

Feb 20, 2003
    I'm sorry to hear that! Are you still on dial-up? Is that why you can't have net in linux?

I don't know if this will help you or not, but some progress has been made with winmodems. has some info and drivers and the like.

I hate to see anyone stuck with Win98 *shudders*

As a side note I have a less-than-legal (shall we say) copy of XP Pro, maybe I can convert it to .iso and transfer it to you over AIM?
  3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    to keep this website (and yourself) on the up and up, plz keep that kind of talk relegated to pm's.
  4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    we have a comp at my house on the netowrk that run98 and it works fine for my mom (internet email and sometimes word) its actually nice incase i need the xp machinne. Except it was "made for 98" so the resolution goes all the way up to 800x600. if only 3.1 had netowrking capabilties.
  5. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    Ha, thanx for the offer guitargeek, but trying to download a 650MB or so ISO would take about a week and that's not counting for all the disconnects and times when the computer can't be on the internet...

I've tried all the things on, but I couldn't get anything to work at all..

I have a copy of XP Home, but its already been activated so unless I can get past that somehow, I'm stuck with 98.
  6. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2002
    Actually there is a way to edit the registry during the 60 day trial thing or whatever, and bypass activation...

i wont include a link because:
    a. shouldnt talk about this stuff on these forums
    b. i cant find one:D
  7. guitargeek macrumors regular

Feb 20, 2003
    DOH! I didn't think about the whole dial-up thing (even though I suggested linmodems to you). Idiot! :rolleyes:

Ah well, I tried, didn't I?
  8. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    Hey, its [​IMG]

I found a copy of XP Home that I never used and ended up installing it, I don't have some of the features that I'd like (Remote Desktop Connection for one) but its tolerable until I upgrade to a Mac desktop or broadband so I can get rid of this Windows crap.[​IMG]
  9. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    Re: back on Win98

when i am not on my ibook and use my pc to do coding, i am left with windows 98

the pc's too old to take w2k and xp

it will take windows me, but that will be taking a step backwards in reliability

the most common thing i do for major instabilities in windows 98 is reinstall the whole need trying to figure out what is wrong and try and fix everything in the registry

i just back up my personal files and start all over...on the pc side, i am used to it

some say windows 95 is more stable and i wouldn't mind if it was one that was compatible with usb (later 95 versions)

i won't know if windows xp is more stable for me or not...compared to 98...until i get a newer windows machine with it and use it everyday...i just know that users and reviews say that xp is the real replacement for windows 98 and if that's the case, i hope there won't be anymore blue screens of death or crashes ;)

if you don't already know this, check for viruses and then do the maintenance wizard right after about once a week in windows 98