Back surgery...

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGary, Jul 2, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Has anyone here had simple (laminectomy) or major (fusion) back surgery here?

If so, what was the recovery time?

Are you better now?

Would you do it again if you had the choice?

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

That line of questioning does not sound good. Hope you're feeling better.

3. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Both are fairly invasive with no guarantee. How long have you had Sx? PM if you want.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I haven't had any back surgery. Only the knowledge of being a nurse. When will you be having the surgery? Your orthopedic surgeon should be able to provide you with a recovery time table for your type of surgery. The important thing is that you follow your surgeons advice and orders.

5. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Don't know yet, but things haven't improved. New MRI scheduled next week.

6. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

This type of thread makes me worry about getting older, even though I feel comfortable gaining years as battle scars. I heard back pains are one of the most painful experience and are difficult to get it fixed.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I pray that you MRI will be informational for your surgeon, giving him/her the proper wisdom for proper interpretation. Please keep us informed as to your progress. ;)

Yes, back pain is a very difficult thing. Some causes of back pain don't show up on X-Ray. The most important thing is to have a very competent physician. Secondly that the patient follows the advice of the physician.

8. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

My mom has the back problem and I am crossing fingures I don't get the same thing when I reach 50 (which is in 28 years). I cruch with 25 lbs dumb bell every other day to make my tummy tucked.

9. Mr LuLu macrumors member

Had my lower back fused 3 years ago.

Plan for 6 months off work.

10. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi iGary, I've been out of work since October 04' with 2 disc tears and a few other problems. I have had 3 shots to try to take the pain away, 2 MRI's, 2 CT scans and the last and by far most painful test I think could be done was a Disc-o-gram on 4 of my lower discs. That test showed some damage and my left leg is still numb (outer thigh). 2 surgeons and 3 other doctors have said a fusion may not take the pain away but the feeling should come back shortly after :rolleyes: Also my choice maybe a replacement of L5/S1 area but no one can say and since I'm 33 years old they really don't want to do a fusion or a replacement unless they really have to.
    Well since 9 mths. has come and gone with really no less pain "I think" try one disc then go from there.
    Most important if it is offered or your choice (since I'm not a doctor) might be a compression MRI. Yes it hurts but it shows a lot more by way of tears and spurs than your normal MRI would.
    Take your time and ask questions until the doctors answer all that's on your mind about it if you haven't done so yet.
    Hope you get better best wishes, Scott.

11. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Had my upper back fused 8 years ago. Plan for 6 months off work is right, and at least a 3 weeks bedridden after the surgery. You will get some verrrrrry nice drugs though.

12. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Back pain can be hell.

Thankfully doing something is better than nothing.

Activity strenghens your back, but can be painful when its gets "hot"

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No surgery yet (hopefully not ever) -- the thing I don't want to acknowledge is that my back problems would be fewer if I wasn't carrying around 30 extra pounds that are throwing my balance and posture off.

14. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

I'm 5'11 and around 12st 10lbs and would love be be back to 12st again.

I'll never diet and am losing weight thanks to biking to work, go back to light weights work soon.