Back to Firebird, again...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Westside guy, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

After the latest Safari update I decided to give it a go, once again, as my default browser. I must say it just keeps getting better! But when it comes to doing Web page development, I found I just couldn't do without one Firebird/Mozilla feature - the JavaScript console.

If I'm trying to do anything at all complicated with JavaScript, it's just so darn handy to have that debugger window available so I can see exactly what is going wrong.

I realize to the majority of people this doesn't matter in the least. ;) But I thought I'd mention it on the off-chance that someone will pop in and say "Silly boy! You can do that in Safari by using xxxx". So.... ?

2. legion macrumors 6502a

Firebird rocks! That's all I have to say.

Long live truly open software; especially when all the other browsers are always playing catch-up to the features already offered.

(and no one makes stupid disclaimers of not being able to support an OS that was on the market less than 6 months ago)

3. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Firebird is the best browser

I use FireBird because Safari crashes on launch in my computer since I tried to launch an updated version with an older version in the drive. I have tried erasing preference files and every other Safari related item but the crash on launch persisted even after all that. The feature I miss most from Safari was the sophisticated links bar in every browser window that made a trip to the file menu less necessary.

Anyway, I started using Mozilla and after I got sick of the long loading times and irritating features like the built-in eMail client I downloaded Firebird and have been using that ever since. It is fast, it displays every page the way it was meant to look, and in some web-sites like Think Secret and Wired.com it can do some tricks that are not available in lesser browsers. For example, when visiting ThinkSecret.com by clicking on the bottom-left part of Firebird I can change the background and text sizes of the pages!

My only complaint with FireBird is that Playsite.com does not work on it. This is strange because I could launch Java games and play them with Mozilla but with FireBird I do not get any further than the loading screen.