Back to my Mac with iPad/iPhone Support

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Richdmoore, Apr 15, 2010.

1. macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2007
    Does any of the remote desktop apps for the iPad/iPhone work with Back to My Mac part of Mobile Me? I'm interested in using my iPad to control my Mac while I am on the road. Thanks.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2007
    No - I would suggest the logmein ignition app
  3. macrumors 6502a

May 15, 2006
    I downloaded the Desktop Connect app for my iPad and it won't connect to my computer. It brings up the password screen, and it states a password is required, but it never prompts me to enter the password. I finally gave up and deleted it.
  4. macrumors newbie

Sep 16, 2009
    Desktop Connect app

To get the Desktop Connect app to work click on the "i" in the upper right corner, click " MAC OSX: Screen Sharing Setup" and follow the setup instructions. Very, very easy.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Nov 1, 2009
    Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
    Why would you spend 12 bucks on an app that you can get for free in teamviewer?
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2003
    Bump. I'd like to know whether this is now possible or not.
  7. macrumors newbie

May 2, 2009
  8. macrumors newbie

Mar 5, 2013
    VNC and back to mac

Apple use Vnc for the back to my mac.
    Any client from the App Store will do it. I used VNC lite as it has the settings already there
    Just enter a local user info or the iCloud account details and you should be good to go
  9. macrumors member

Feb 6, 2010
    Back to My Mac is more than VNC. It's also a tunnel assisted by Apple's servers that together with some MDNS magic makes almost all remote services work through only a couple of open router ports; not just screen sharing, but file sharing, ssh, maybe even printing (and more if you work out the domain name to use).

Done right (which is beyond what an iDevice app could do) it could allow iTunes sync remotely, using one's own server as almost a private iCloud alternative for storage of documents, etc. Doesn't exist but IMO ought to. Would be great with the iPad Pro.