Back To School, or Back to...Sex?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wdlove, Sep 7, 2003.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Laura's Weekly E-Blast
    http://www.LauraIngraham.com

Back To School, or Back to...Sex?

Ah, the first week of September! It brings back warm memories of the nervous excitement I felt about going back to school as a kid outside Hartford, Connecticut. It was all about getting new folders and notebooks, maybe a cool pen or two, and practicing for a new field hockey season. And of course, getting back to school was fun because it meant my friends and I would be together to giggle and whisper about boys.

That is pretty much what I remember about the first week of school.

Girls today--I can't believe I'm writing that!--still deal with a lot of these same issues. They manage school work and after school activities and acclimate to their new classes, teachers, and cliques. Yet the pressures facing girls today are worse, not better, than what I experienced twenty plus years ago. Sure, we were urged to be as aggressive in the classroom and on the playing fields as the boys. But along with that (positive) message, girls today are being urged-- in music, television, magazines, and on the internet--to be aggressive when it comes to sex, too.

For years liberal elites cheered as the anti-tobacco lobby railed against RJR and Phillip Morris for "targeting" young people in their ads. Imagine that, companies profiting off something they know is bad for our youth. There was no such sanctimonious outrage toward MTV, however, when, during its Video Music Awards, a 45 year-old Madonna, French kissed girls decades younger (singers Brittany Spears and Christina Aguilera) for a cheap ratings boost. (I'm only now barely recovering.) Is the menage a trois really something we need to glamorize for young women today? (The audience at Radio City Music Hall went nuts.)

I know, it's nothing you haven't already seen on MTV's The Real World.

Of course this is nothing new. Large segments of the music industry, through its lyrics and videos, are sending girls and young women an undeniable message--Sex it up or get out! The lower the pants, the higher the skirt, the more sex you have, the more "woman" you are. Now that's empowerment!

The print media are no better. The once-innocuous teen magazines (remember "16" and "Tigerbeat"?) have taken content cues from dopey sex-obsessed magazines like Cosmopolitan. The September issue of Seventeen includes on its cover the teaser -- "The Sex Questions You Can't Ask Anyone Else Answered." Elle Girl's cover features stories on "What a Guy Wants" and "I Was a Teenage Prostitute."

In this cultural wasteland, is it surprising then, that informal surveys are showing that girls (and boys) today treat oral sex like a handshake?

Or is it shocking to learn in The Washington Post about a new booming business--plastic surgery for teens? Imagine the ad campaign -- "Nose-jobs...they're not just for Tori Spelling anymore!" Yesterday's girls pestered their parents for money to go the movies. If we aren't careful, today soon it could be, "Mom, it's not fair! Brittany got breast implants! Why can't I?!!"

Last weekend I forced myself to go to a movie last week that I knew would depress me--the new, critically acclaimed film Thirteen. It was based on the true story of a girl growing up in a broken home in Los Angeles who does drugs, steals, lies, and uses sex to get her way when she's not self-mutiliating with a razor blade in the bathroom. The film's writer, who also acted in the film, told a deeply disturbing, cautionary tale of her own teenage experiences.

The cultural influences that bombard girls today have real world consequences for them. There will be girls who get pregnant because they see promiscuity glorified. There will be girls who get raped because they put themselves in bad situtations with bad men who tell them "everyone's doing it." There will be girls who get demeaned in "wet t-shirt contests" all for the pleasure of young men.

After 40 years of telling girls they can be anything they want to be, feminists are MIA when it comes to the effects of a culture that pushing sex and deviancy on young women 24/7. They were so concerned about the "religious right" they ignored the "deviant left." One of the great things about early feminists is that they recognized that women are very influenced by social pressure. The culture forced women to play roles that they didn't want to play and limited their opportunities. But which is worse--encouraging young women to act and look like housewives or act and look like hookers? You decide.

2. Waluigi macrumors 6502

I don't like what MTV is doing because it is marketed to kids. To be honest, 12-year-old girls should not be wearing low rider jeans, or thongs. It is very disturbing when 12-year-old girls dress up like they are 16, to get with guys who might be 17 or 18! That is messed up.

However, I must admit, I love it when the ladies show lots of skin, and most do. I feel it actually does empower them if they show off their cleavage, and stomachs. I'd just ignore them if they were wearing the bed sheets they make women in some Middle Eastern countries wear. This forces me to pay attention to them, try to impress them, and talk to them. I think that is actually a good thing that women are getting more attention in the classroom, and in the social scene.

Some sociologist did a study a few years back in a country somewhere in Asia. In this country, the boys have all the power, and any girl they wanted to have sex with, they would do it whether the girl wanted to or not. These boys had the lowest suicide rate, and were happier overall then any other boys in any country in the world. The reason the suicide rate for teenage males in America is so high, and the reason behind all the high school shootings is due to LACK of sex. However, this happiness of the boys in that country did come at the expense of the girls, who were miserable.

I don't know if there is a solution for this problem, but the situation our country is in now is bad: Girls are unhappy and have to grow up too soon and show off too much, and the boys can see a lot, but they don't get any more booty then they did 40 years ago, so they are more tantalized, and they have a higher suicide rate. We are living in a lose-lose society now, and I don't see an answer to the solution.

By the way I went to High School in CT too, where from CT are you from?

--Waluigi

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Hmm besides this article obviously hates that 'liberals' gave women power to chose what they want and now because of that power people blast 'liberals'...

:thinkaboutthat:

Okay, so do we want women to have power over what they want to do or not?

Hello...? :confused:

Look, if "oral sex like a handshake" then my 15 year old hand has never been touched by a girl.

We all know Madonna did it to boost ratings, it was a kiss, whoop de doo.

And am I getting the wrong picture or when this author refers to the "liberal elites" does he/she *want* Tobacco Companies to target kids?

:confused:

Also I'd like to hear wdlove's perspective.

4. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Who cares if 12 year old girls are wearing thongs! It's just underwear. Don't be so puritanical.

Low-rise jeans. That's a different story.

I've read that promiscuity amongst teen girls, well teens in general, is due largely to the fact that we put so many hormones into the beef and chicken we feed our people. It actually messes up the natural development of our own growth and sexual hormones, in effect speeding them up.

I, for one, wouldn't doubt it. That's not to say I wasn't promiscuous as a teen, though. That's a fact of life.

Gee, I wonder if she's Republican. :rolleyes: That pretty much ruins her credibility as far as I'm concerned. Throwing in cheap biased shots. She just sounds bitter.

5. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Thongs are made so that there is no visible lines when girls wear tight paints. There is only one reason girls for wearing a thong, and that is to be more attractive. 12 years old is too young for that! They aren't just underwear, they are the equilvant of a pushup bra for girl's butts. They are a very sexual undergarmet, not just plain old underware.

--Waluigi

6. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

I respectfully disagree.

Thongs are much better designed than the regular granny panties. For one, you don't have to worry about them bunching up in your various crevices, and they're much more comfortable for a lot of people. Specifically people with low body fat and round behinds. I think there are quite a few young girls who fall into this category.

Ever seen anyone with a thong picking out a wedgie? Nope. Neither have I. My fiance wears thongs exclusively. It's a comfort issue. She's tall and tiny with a round rump. She says her butt "eats" normal undies.

It's not all about sex. You're associating.

7. Waluigi macrumors 6502

But what about 12 year olds! I think its fine for a grown women to wear a thong for sexual or non sexual reasons. But 12 years old is too young to wear a thong, and besides, they don't need to.

--Waluigi

8. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Using the media to target young teenage girls to dress like sex objects is wrong. They are wanting to dress the way they see others. Having a dress code in schools would definitely take the pressure off everyone. It would tend to lessen the cost of clothing for the parent and teenager.

9. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i believe he just explained why young girls may have a reason for wearing a thong.

its a comfort thing and completely opinion. if a girl hates to wear thongs and wears then to look pretty then i agree thats stupid...but if there just plain more comfortable then by all means wear them.

in most situations of life i prefer practical over pretty

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

June 6, 2003
    My H.S., before I graduated only weeks later:

A somewhat distant friend of mine around the same age took the dress code a little too far. I was upstairs during the action: She ran naked through the cafeteria downstairs.

Now that I have everyone's attention, the sex talk is over. Do you feel like killing yourself now?

If the entertainment of society was much less based on sex, then anyone denied from it would not feel suicidal, period. As individuals, we are after entertainment. Society, not "liberal elites", not politics, make us decide what entertainment is the most rewarding.

I am not against sex, but I feel it is something that must be coincided with responsibility and awareness of all circumstances surrounding it. Some of us forget/neglect to do so, and we ask for more of entertainment regardless. This is our society, as (previously mentioned by Waluigi) "a lose-lose society".

11. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

From the outside

I see so much pressure on the US culture by its own media.

On one hand there is an actual culture where there is a lot of respect from every one mind or perspective, that is good but we face too a huge influence on the media on "how life should be lived". Let me give you an example of this away from the original topic:

"Friends" the TV show, that is the kind of relationship people would like to have but it is not the relationship of no one in the US, "ER" would be more accurate. The average north American feel lonely and isolated because of the individualism need to succeed.

Now, there are more fun things to do in life and the media is telling you "be this way, be this way" and people start to be that way to feel accepted by other but it is a plastic way to do it, the boobs, the piercing, the "experimentation" with the same sex, all that is just influenced by the media just because "they heard" that in France or Germany people have sex as drinking water even when they are marry.

That is why people feel in shock when they see things like Madonna pushing the envelop but that is just part of a plastic tendency that doesn't represent the real spirit of the people of the United Stated. The people in the US are kind, corny, simple, creative, talented, inexperienced, religious, etc, etc, etc. but that sort of things are no way part of the culture, the early sex, the guns, orgies, the materialism, that is not part of the culture when some one go and see, as well so many TV shows that are not even the shadow of what we find once you get to experiment the culture for real.

My point is that the US is a country that advertise cars when every body is really doing everything barefoot, and while every body does everything fine barefoot they start to feel the pressure of not doing what the media is telling you "what you should be doing because every body else is doing it".

That my friend is the easy way to kill a culture, destroying the roots. That is why the Pope will never let gay priest in the Christian religion, a lot of that come from the communist, the same thing is happening in my country, we are loosing our identity too.

My advice is to watch less TV, spend less time in the Internet and make more biological relationship with other humans, that way we won't need to find aliens in other planets so desperate, that by the way, the US is the country where more people are looking for aliens, not because they have the technology but because they feel lonely.

Be carefull with the media, 3% of what they say is true... 3% at the most.

12. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

one of the problems is that the media (well, mostly the media it seems) promote sex as one of the only ways to be happy and have fun.

i don't think the school shottings and unhappiness among males to be because of lack of sex, but because they think it is necessary to be happy. don't people realise that there are a lot of other things in the world besides sex? but i guess peer pressure can be a strong influence...

and i've also noticed quite a few young teenagers around here (Australia, Brisbane and the Sunshine and Gold Coasts) to be dressing like, well, sluts. there's a whole generation of 12-16 year olds that are just going to grow up to be sluts.

13. DesterWallaboo macrumors 6502

DesterWallaboo

Every man wants to marry a virgin with the mind of a whore.

But no one wants to marry the whore.

Women are not empowered by getting mostly naked in public or flaunting their sexuality. In fact, it pretty much turns the entire women's liberation movement on it's head when women were begging to be recognized as more than being a set of breasts. Now we're taking the road back again. The analogy used earlier that "granny undies" were pretty much the only option besides thongs is ridiculous. There is plenty of non-sex-driven underwear out there that is neither incomfortable nor bulky. Thongs are worn specifically for sexual reasons. Every guy on the planet with any drop of testosterone in his blood knows it to be true. I'm a man. So I certainly know the conversation among guys that occurs every time some woman goes walking by with an obvious thong on. And I'll tell you what... they certainly aren't discussing how amazing her education is or that she has a doctorate in this discipline or other. Nope... it's purely animalistic instinct. Now I'm not saying that sex is bad. Nope. In fact I think the contrary. But age, timing, place and appropriateness has certainly been turned on its head.

14. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Wow, that is so true!

Hahaha, yes!! Either that, or just stare in awe.

--Waluigi

15. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Let people where whatever clothing they want. If someone wants to have sex at an early age let them. I know a girl who had sex in elementary school, and it hasn't damaged her life. She's in advanced classes at my high school.

16. Waluigi macrumors 6502

That makes me sick to my stomach. Besides, being in advanced classes means she is smart, not that she is mentally healthy.

--Waluigi

17. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

But she isn't mentally unhealthy. It hasn't damaged her in any way.

18. Waluigi macrumors 6502

It is still disturbing, and even if she appears to be OK, she could be hurting on the inside now, or down the road. Studies have shown time and time again, if you start having sex at a ridiculously young age, as this girl you know did, it will have devastating consequences down the road. And it is disgusting too!

--Waluigi

19. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I don't find it particularly disgusting, they were both the same age. Maybe it was too early for them, maybe it wasn't. But once someone has gone into high school, they should have the right to do what they want, whether they be 12, 14, or 18.

20. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

that's just a truism.

what do you mean by "the mind of a whore?" a whore is promiscuous, possibly above all else. every man wants to marry a virgin who's more interested in sex than an inanimate object like Lillian Rearden (Atlas Shrugged). speaking for myself, i have no interest in a woman whose faithfulness would be suspect. that's why i don't want to marry a whore, virgin or no.

as for the media promoting sex--it's been outrageous for a long time. it always pushed the envelope; it has since the 20's at least. there are backlashes occasionally, but typically there is a pattern that as soon as you get used to something inappropriate, they throw something new out. a really basic non-sexual example of this is steve jobs' use of "kickass" in his speech. 3 years ago, i think that would have bothered a lot more people. and that's at a technology speech.

so madonna french kissed some girls. what's so bad about that? i mean, sure, they're the same sex. but were you as bothered when catherine zeta-jones made out with (and then some) sean connery in Entrapment? the age difference was most certainly comparable. bridging that age gap's been pretty common. i'm not really any more bothered by madonna doing that with them than i have been by the **** she's done in the last 18 years or so.

21. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

The problem, to put things simply, is that the media portrays an unhealthy attitude and method of sexual relations as being normal and worthwhile (by "method" I am not referring to homosexual/heterosexual relations).

Setting aside my faith for the discussion, at the very least, we can generally agree that sex is best kept within a monogamous relationship. By that, I mean one partner in a minimum span of a year. However, the media suggests to us that it is acceptable to pursue our passions and lusts with reckless disregard for the consequences. As a result, sex has become cheap. Fashion that could be called "slutty" is a manifestation of that, and I think it's a crying shame.

Sex is precious and good, but there are consequences when it is used carelessly. It does emotional damage and, when used particularly carelessly, can result in unwanted pregnancies and the transmission of STIs.

The media tells us that it is acceptable for us to get everything that our bodies want and to get them now, regardless of any reasonable expectation of consequences. Want to have sex with a hundred girls/guys? Go for it. So what about the one in six people age 16-27 that has an STI? It's not going to you because you're pursuing your farking PASSION!

What BS.

22. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

MrMacMan's take:
    Yes... Lets all think alike...

Lets become brain washed...

:(

Last time they did that (mass scale) was Hitler.

Waluigi -- Thousand of years ago *children* were having babies.

It was different times. Sex can wait, yes, but if the person knows what it is and want it... why should there be laws forbidding. (teens I mean)

Personally: Body is a plus, l like personallity or a mind.

23. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

In Brazil you see a lot of kids dressed up like prostitutes. Girls that are 4, or 6, definitely under 12. Not because they watch MTV but because it is "ok" there that girls dress like that - not on the inky pinky barbie girly stuff that e.g. in US and most of Europe seems to predominant.

Girls are more aggressive? Uh. Do I read the original article as "I miss the times when women were only good for cooking, cleaning, ironing and producing children"? Too tired and bored to read it all. :rolleyes:

24. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

yeah, the times when they are just good for a good **** are much, much better. as long as they get something out of it, it must be better. right.

if you don't want to interact, don't post. i love how you scoff at people who make general assumptions about things without thinking about it and then proceed to do the same thing to this thread. if you don't have any respect for our opinions, don't come around.

25. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    wow, reading these kinds of threads and things frightens me with the way that some people think about sex and women in this world. women do not wear thongs to be "comfortable", they wear them to be "sexy". and dressing like a slut to show off your body is so far from empowering it's not even funny. honestly, who would treat you with more respect when your boobs are hanging out and you have a plumbers crack (how that's getting popular is far beyond me). the only way that women can get on the same level as men is to leave any and all sexualness at the door. i don't go to work sporting some neck with my pants half down, why would it be ok for a girl to sport clevage? it's slutty. my girlfriend wears sexy cloths sometimes when we're alone, and i do the same for her cause that's something for us to share, but when she goes to school or work she wears cloths that don't show the world her assets and i do the same, i don't want to share my body with anyone else whether pysically or visually.

the one thing that is so annoying is when slutty girls wear a piece of string and then get all pissy when the get stared at like a piece of meat. don't dress like a piece of meat and you won't get stared at like that. sheesh. common sense here people.

but yes, the world seems to be getting more laxed about these types of things and it's all very scary. when you turn on MTV and see 50 cent singing about how he smacks his hoes around and treats them like crap and then see girls walking down the street looking like the whores in his videos, it makes me wonder how many times they were dropped on their head as a child.

i always blamed the breakup of the family for a lot of these problems, but i just read an article the other day about teenage prostitution is on the rise and although still a small percentage, the amount of teenage prostitutes from middle class healthy families is rising. this kind of crap makes me scared to death to have kids someday.