Back to the Drawing Board

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Aug 17, 2004.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...858&call_pageid=968332188854&col=968350060724
    Looks like another successful regime change for your boy. Way to go!

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Chavez came into power in, what, 1998? Thereabouts. He immediately began politicking for OPEC to push oil prices upward from the then-price of about $25/bbl. The consensus among western European nations, the US and OPEC had been that the $25 price was a good compromise insofar as inflation in the consuming nations and income for the producers.

Chavez' economic policies led to a money-flight from Venezuela and an increase in hard times. Then, there was the strike which resulted in an import of gasoline to the country--which was an interesting bit of irony.

Chavez, a Castroite, has been unending in his anti-US rhetoric, even before his ascension to the presidency. I'm not at all surprised at any US government support of his opponents. However, in this particular case, our behavior has been no different from that of Soros in our present election campaign...

:), 'Rat

3. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Oh really? I hadn't noticed Soros supporting a coup d'etat. US behaviour in Venezuela has been appalling, just as in Chile, Cuba and Haiti.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I wonder what mymemory thinks of this latest news...

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What's a "Castroite?"

I remember "Castro Convertibles," but they were sofas.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

A rainbow colored object orbiting SF?