Back-up contacts from iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thiagofll, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors member

thiagofll

I have entered all my contacts into my iPhone. How do I back it up in case I want to do a factory reset?
    Any help will be appreciated.

2. macrumors 65816

WillJS

You can sync it with your address book

3. thread starter macrumors member

thiagofll

But what if I have already added everything to my iPhone and want to back up into my computer?

4. macrumors 6502

Syncing takes the most recent/new contacts and puts them on each device. For example, if you put everything into your iPhone and have nothing on your computer, it will copy all contacts to your computer. Then say you update "Joe Smith" on your computer, and meanwhile created a new contact "Susie Johnson" on your iPhone, the next time you sync it will copy the updated Joe Smith to your iPhone and wil copy the Susie Johnson to your computer.

5. macrumors 604

ravenvii

If, say, you erased + reinstalled and now your computer has nothing, but your iPhone has all the contacts. The computer technically has the latest update, so if you sync, will the contacts on your iPhone be wiped?

6. macrumors 6502

I suppose there may be a chance... I can't try it right now, I won't have my iPhone until tomorow, but I can try it then if someone else hasn't.

7. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

the sync process is a 2 way process. I have not done it myself, but it will work

8. axi
    macrumors newbie

you may try http://iphone-backup.net for turing your iphone's address book into a PDF which can be stored on your computer

9. macrumors 6502

nehunte

Do you have Microsoft Outlook on your computer? If so, you can go into iTunes and tell it to back your contacts onto Microsoft Outlook. However, the best way to backup contacts IMO is through Gmail. If you don't already have a Gmail account, then set one up. Once you set it up, follow the steps that Google gives you to set up the Microsoft Exchange account on your iPhone for Gmail. It's actually quite easy. After you set it up, then your contacts, calendar, and email are all pushed between your Gmail account and your iPhone. It's awesome. Let's say you run into an old friend one day, and you put their phone number in your phone, within minutes it's pushed on to your Gmail account online.

So, after everything is backed up online with Gmail, you can do a restore on your phone. Once the restore is done, go back and set up the Microsoft Exchange for Gmail and all your contacts and calendars come right back to the phone. That's how I do it and it's awesome. Makes everything a lot easier, IMO. Regardless of what you do, good luck with it.

10. macrumors 68000

I installed the free app "ContactSync" from the app store. It lets you keep your iPhone contacts online.

11. macrumors regular

Nevrsadie

iDrive is another great free backup app. Create your account online, then download the app and sign in. I used this exclusively until I made the leap to gmail. And still use it as a backup in case something goes fubar with gmail.

12. macrumors newbie

13. macrumors newbie

How to backup iphone contacts

I found this tutorial useful

Backup iPhone Contacts

It also provides a solution to recover iPhone deteted contacts, it was really useful to me

14. macrumors 6502

isnt the best way to back your contacts using icloud?

15. macrumors 65816

16. JMG
    macrumors 6502a

JMG

Sync it with your google email so you never have to worry ever again no matter what phone you get next.

17. macrumors newbie

If I back up my iPhone contacts via iTunes (right-click on iPhone icon > Back Up) will I be able to restore my contacts to my iPhone without restoring to factory settings (i.e. without having to delete my iPhone-saved multimedia)?

What I am trying to achieve is to backup my iPhone 3G contacts and with that, move them (restore them) to my newer iPhone 4 which is synced to another computer and has its own separate music library.

18. macrumors 68020

gmanist1000

Yeah you will be able to do that, as long as you have them checked to sync and back up, they will be able to sync to your new iPhone when you get that.

19. macrumors regular

I was gonna say, iCloud does the trick for me!

20. macrumors member

loaferkan

I found the solution with the icloud . i came to know about this from the forum recently. And it worked. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.