Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suellenn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
I am a barely literate user of ibook g4 who has nevertheless had some success fixing serious crashes using forums such as this. So I bravely took on the cause of my friend who has a 12" model and runs Panther. At start-up, we only get an apple with spinning wheel,even in safe mode. I have reset the PRAM and PMU and have run the disk repair off the disk. I got the message that the utility has lost connection with some tool and to quit, but when I hit quit, it warns me that operations are still proceeding. I let it run overnight before finally shutting it down. So, I am guessing that I need to back-up and re-install, but how? I have a external hard disk that I use for Time Machine on my G4 running Leopard. Will that do? How do I access his data? Thanks for bearing with me. I hope this can be resolved without having to buy an expensive fixer disk. :eek:

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I am a barely literate user of ibook g4 who has nevertheless had some success fixing serious crashes using forums such as this. So I bravely took on the cause of my friend who has a 12" model and runs Panther. At start-up, we only get an apple with spinning wheel,even in safe mode. I have reset the PRAM and PMU and have run the disk repair off the disk. I got the message that the utility has lost connection with some tool and to quit, but when I hit quit, it warns me that operations are still proceeding. I let it run overnight before finally shutting it down. So, I am guessing that I need to back-up and re-install, but how? I have a external hard disk that I use for Time Machine on my G4 running Leopard. Will that do? How do I access his data? Thanks for bearing with me. I hope this can be resolved without having to buy an expensive fixer disk. :eek:

Use your iBook to access his via Target Disk mode over FireWire. If you can't read the disk that way, you can try mounting it in an external drive enclosure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.