back up Mail, iCal, Adresbook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dafke, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Dafke macrumors 6502

Dafke

Hey all, i got a question about backing up some apps:

Currently i'm running 10.3.9 and i think i'm finally ready to go with Tiger. I want to do a clean install so how do i back iCal, Mail and Adresbook? Do i just copy the folders from Application Support? Or what's the trick...

cheers

2. Dafke thread starter macrumors 6502

Dafke

please?
    i really tried to find it with searching but i didn't succeed...

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's been a while since I've used Panther but do Address Book and iCal have the Backup feature or something similar in their File menus? As for Mail, that should be a matter of just making a copy of the Mail folder in your user's Library folder and maybe copying com.apple.mail.plist in the Preferences folder to retain your account settings too. :)

4. Dafke thread starter macrumors 6502

Dafke

Thank you for your reply Mad Jew, i knew i could count on you :)

Well Adress book seems to have this possiblity, to make a back up copy, but i can't find it for iCal. This article says iCal has it but that's about Tiger. Maybe it is enough to use the export function and later import it again? I just don't know if there will be any issues regarding the change from 10.3 to 10.4
    And for the Mail back up: after copying those files in 10.4 i will havew all my sent items, account setting etcetera? I only haved to copy the files and start up Mail?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well maybe check out this Apple page, and this one too. It might be easier to make a copy of your Home directory and then you can import from there. You might have trouble with Mail since the file structure layout is different in Tiger. Having a full copy of your Home directory might help here. I think it'll be safer. :)

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think (sorry not on a Mac right now) the iCal has a folder in ~Library/Application Support (or perhaps just ~/Library). Back that up and the com.apple.iCal.plist file for your preferences.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That folder is indeed in Application Support on my Tiger Mac. I just wonder how well it'll import into a Tiger machine from a Panther one though... That's why I think a full Home folder backup, if you have the space, might be beneficial. :)

8. Dafke thread starter macrumors 6502

Dafke

Great! Thank you guys, that was very helpfull. I will do the transition this weekend, doing preparations now. I'll post my experiences when i'm done.