Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Regular-John

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
Sheffield, England
I want to somehow [maybe with Automator] back up certain folders [docs, music, vids, etc]on my HD to my external HD on a daily basis and have it done automatically.

I've had a play around with Automator, but it kinda confuses me [I'm fairly new to OSX]!

Any ideas?

Also, I tend to format my HD regularly [well I did with my PC]. Is there any way to back up all my iCal events, address book and e-mails + folders? Not necessarily automatically though.

Cheers RJ.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Regular-John said:
Cheers for that.

I've used CCC to back up the 'users' folder. Does that cover all my ical event, addresses, e-mails, etc??

Cheers
Yeah, but if your external drive is big enough, you should just backup your whole mac hd, then it's bootable :)

Regular-John

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
Sheffield, England
Hey, just noticed that you can create disk images with the disk utility.

Does this back everything up? If so, then I guess this is like OS-X's version of system restore.

Then could I make Automator scheldule the back-up?

Cheers.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
A disk image is just a special kind of file that can be mounted as a disk. It lets you do things like master CDs in non-native formats. It does not take an image of any existing disk. You could script up the creation of a disk image, the copying of all the files you want backed up then burning that image to a DVD.

Edit to add: Just to be clear a disk image is not a backup. It's nothing like a backup. It's not System Restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.