Back-Up Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Regular-John, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Regular-John macrumors member

I want to somehow [maybe with Automator] back up certain folders [docs, music, vids, etc]on my HD to my external HD on a daily basis and have it done automatically.

I've had a play around with Automator, but it kinda confuses me [I'm fairly new to OSX]!

Any ideas?

Also, I tend to format my HD regularly [well I did with my PC]. Is there any way to back up all my iCal events, address book and e-mails + folders? Not necessarily automatically though.

Cheers RJ.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. Regular-John thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for that.

I've used CCC to back up the 'users' folder. Does that cover all my ical event, addresses, e-mails, etc??

Cheers

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah, your user folder contains all that stuff in there, or at least it should!

5. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Yeah, but if your external drive is big enough, you should just backup your whole mac hd, then it's bootable :)

6. Regular-John thread starter macrumors member

Hey, just noticed that you can create disk images with the disk utility.

Does this back everything up? If so, then I guess this is like OS-X's version of system restore.

Then could I make Automator scheldule the back-up?

Cheers.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

A disk image is just a special kind of file that can be mounted as a disk. It lets you do things like master CDs in non-native formats. It does not take an image of any existing disk. You could script up the creation of a disk image, the copying of all the files you want backed up then burning that image to a DVD.

Edit to add: Just to be clear a disk image is not a backup. It's nothing like a backup. It's not System Restore.