Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
to whom it may concern

I have noticed that both on a MBA-Safari & a W7-Chrome, different machines and different routers, on some instances when navigating to macrumors.com from any page, and then in an article, when pressing back, it takes me back 2 pages back instead of previous MR page.

that's all

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Do you mean like this?

needfx's observed behavior: MR Buyer's Guide > MR Front Page > [click into any article] > [click browser back button] = MR Buyer's Guide

...versus...

Expected behavior: MR Buyer's Guide > MR Front Page > [click into any article] > [click browser back button] = MR Front Page

If so, the behavior you've observed doesn't happen to me. Clicking the back button from within an article after having navigated to that article from the MR Front Page simply takes me back to the Front Page (i.e. page I was previously viewing).

With all due respect, could you have accidentally pressed the back button twice?

needfx

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Do you mean like this?

needfx's observed behavior: MR Buyer's Guide > MR Front Page > [click into any article] > [click browser back button] = MR Buyer's Guide

...versus...

Expected behavior: MR Buyer's Guide > MR Front Page > [click into any article] > [click browser back button] = MR Front Page

If so, the behavior you've observed doesn't happen to me. Clicking the back button from within an article after having navigated to that article from the MR Front Page simply takes me back to the Front Page (i.e. page I was previously viewing).

With all due respect, could you have accidentally pressed the back button twice?

Hi,

example on MBA/Safari/back fingers gesture/yesterday, Monday, 18Mar13
New Tab-->Macrumors Mainpage-->Article--/back gesture-->New Tab

example on W7/Chrome/back button/today, Tuesday, 19Mar13
Facebook-->Macrumors Mainpage-->Article--/back button-->Facebook

Both machines at different geographical locations & on different routers

Will try to screen grab/video grab later today for evidence.

Cheers

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I don't see it on the OS X version of Safari, but I do see similar behavior on iOS (currently 6.1.x). If I am on the main page and select a forum link, sometimes (not all the time) I'll either not have a 'back' link or, if I have a 'back' link, it will take me to something I was on previously, such as google.com or some such (definitely just pressing once). So far, I've only noticed this on macrumors but will keep note on other sites.

My guess in my case would be a Safari bug as there are references to similar behavior in various other fora.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.