Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Thats because on old ios 6 background refresh was always on when apps were in background. Now you can select which apps you will be allowed

Actually I don't think is the same kind of background refresh as iOS 6 .... From what I understand, iOS 7 introduces a different kind of multitasking.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Actually I don't think is the same kind of background refresh as iOS 6 .... From what I understand, iOS 7 introduces a different kind of multitasking.

It's both. And at the same time it isn't.

For instance, my MetaWatch requires an app to run in the background. Turning off BAR for that app changes nothing. But tracking apps only seem to half-work with BAR disabled.

But the real news about BAR is that the phone learns when you use for instance Facebook and updates the content shortly before you open the app so you don't have to wait for those few seconds it takes to update. A smoother experience :)

On the other hand, it seems like people who have news paper subscriptions and in iOS 6 had the content download automatically even when the app was killed (not in the multitask thingy), now have to actually go into the app despite having BAR activated and the app closed (not killed)...

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

For instance, my MetaWatch requires an app to run in the background. Turning off BAR for that app changes nothing. But tracking apps only seem to half-work with BAR disabled.

But the real news about BAR is that the phone learns when you use for instance Facebook and updates the content shortly before you open the app so you don't have to wait for those few seconds it takes to update. A smoother experience :)

On the other hand, it seems like people who have news paper subscriptions and in iOS 6 had the content download automatically even when the app was killed (not in the multitask thingy), now have to actually go into the app despite having BAR activated and the app closed (not killed)...

What do you mean with "tracking apps" ?

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Facebook and Twitter are missing because they haven't added support for iOS 7's background app refresh function yet. How would Reminders and Photos benefit from this?

Reminders need Background App Refresh enabled for location-based (Geofenced) reminders; i.e. Reminders for when you arrive at work, leave home etc...

FWIW, just from my own experience so far with my iP5/iOS7, I haven't seen a huge difference in battery drain between having App Refresh On or Off.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark

Except FB doesn't support BR yet. ;)

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Reminders need Background App Refresh enabled for location-based (Geofenced) reminders; i.e. Reminders for when you arrive at work, leave home etc...

FWIW, just from my own experience so far with my iP5/iOS7, I haven't seen a huge difference in battery drain between having App Refresh On or Off.

Wow, that is a pretty big deal... How can Apple kill such a function for those who forget to make sure the app is running at the right time? Talk about a useless Reminder app...

----------

Ok, I use run keeper pro on a daily base (at least 4 times a week) and it's working just fine with background app refresh switched off !
Am I missing something ??? :confused:

Is the app active when you lock the phone?

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Wow, that is a pretty big deal... How can Apple kill such a function for those who forget to make sure the app is running at the right time? Talk about a useless Reminder app...

----------

They're not killing anything. BAR is ON by default. It's you who kill your preferred functionality when turning BAR off. You can't disable a feature and than complain about it being disabled, right? :)

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
They're not killing anything. BAR is ON by default. It's you who kill your preferred functionality when turning BAR off. You can't disable a feature and than complain about it being disabled, right? :)

Oh, I misread or completely misunderstood. I thought he said the Reminders app needed to be running in the background as well (as in, not removed from the multitask bar).

In case it's only a matter of keeping BAR turned on for Reminders then I've got no issues with it :)

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
Yeah, that's the way it works.

But beware, if you manually quit an app (by swiping it up in the multitasking UI), the BAR won't work. App doesn't have to be running in the background per se, but if you manually terminate it outright, BAR won't work.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Yeah, that's the way it works.

But beware, if you manually quit an app (by swiping it up in the multitasking UI), the BAR won't work. App doesn't have to be running in the background per se, but if you manually terminate it outright, BAR won't work.

So wait, are you saying my initial misinterpretation was actually correct? That geofences in Reminders won't work if the app is removed from the multitasking bar?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.