Backing up CD's? Making .DMG files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wakerider017, Oct 3, 2006.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Hey guys I just wanted to know how to make .DMG files?

I would like to back up a lot of my Mac software incase it ever gets scratched...

Thanks!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, you don't really need to make .dmg files to backup your software, but you can do so with Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility.

Click on the "New Image" icon and make an image of whatever size (and possibly encryption) you desire. :)

It's perhaps better to right-click on your desktop, select "New Burn Folder", create one and name it as you wish, then drag items onto it (they aren't really copied, but a note is made of what you want in the folder). When done, right-click on the folder and select "Burn".

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Open Disk Utility (in Applications > Utility folder). Select Help from the Help Menu. Full instructions are there. For a simple backup insert your CD, drag what you want to it, when you eject it will burn the disk.

4. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Cool thanks guys! I was using the automater tool and it was not working.

It said script error?

This way works though. Thanks!

5. macbookdemon Guest

I think that you could use Roxio Toast to make copies of your CDs, but you may need to check up on this. I've had some problems with using Automator to create DMG files. Thanks for the Disk Utility trick!