Backing up data with multiple users?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by nospleen, Mar 22, 2003.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I just sold my powermac and I am trying to back up all of my data for my wife and I. We each have our own User log in screen. I am trying to back everything up to a dvd because of the amount of space we need. I have already dragged all of my stuff to the dvd disc and it is ready to burn. I do not want to burn it yet, because I am assuming it will finalize the disc. However, I cannot drag her stuff to the disc while I am logged in under my user name! It gives me some sort of permissions error. How can I get her stuff onto the disc without logging out? I assume If I log out, all of my data will be lost that is waiting to be burned, right? I am a tad bit confused and would appreciate a little help, tks!:confused:

2. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Also, I only have one dvd disc, so I cannot just use another for her stuff.

3. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

I think the best thing to do would be for you to have you wife make a folder in an area where you can access it then you can log in and backup your stuff then she can put her stuff back.

4. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

there has to be a simple way to do this. someone will come along with the info.

i thought you could log in as administrator and have complete access to all files and folders.

are your user settings set to administer the system?

5. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Yep, I am the big bad administrator that cannot access my wifes pictures or mp3's. :D

6. conceptdev macrumors regular

If you use carboncopy cloner it will preserve the file permissions. I think it can be found on versiontracker if memory serves me correctly.

7. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

but will that copy ALL users for him, or only the currently logged in user.

8. conceptdev macrumors regular

It should preserve all system and disk permissions. It did when I used it a few weeks ago to make a duplicate for backup.