Backing up Data

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Hikkadwa, May 14, 2005.

1. Hikkadwa macrumors member

Hikkadwa

I am using Mac Backup2 to a 250 GB External LaCie Extreme Hard Drive via Firewire. Whilst it does a great job one of the reasons I needed an external was to free up space on my internal iMac drive. Eg a family video for example. To access that video via the external I would have to click on Backup which would mean me having to restore it onto my main drive. What therefore is the process for keeping such videos on the external - do I just copy the original file as well as the standard backup? If I can keep my family video accessible on the external then I would probably delete it from my internal thereby freeing more space - which was my reason for buying the disk. Does this make sense? Some advice needed. Many thanks.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm not sure how "Backup2" works, sounds like it's not an accissible backup if you have to restore to get files. If that's the case, why not erase the external and partition it? Give ~100GB to your backup, and the other ~150GB to storage for your family movies, etc?

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have an external OWC Mercury Elite Firewire HD. It backup up on its own. Also allows to access separate file with out them being the my main hard drive.

4. Hikkadwa thread starter macrumors member

Hikkadwa

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Not sure if I completely follow, but it seems like your putting files on your external HD via Backup? Why can't you just copy and simply save files to that hard drive?

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

remember that it's NOT "backed up" if the ONLY place you have it is on the external drive......mnake sure you have a second copy of it somewhere