Backing up Drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dummptyhummpty, May 7, 2006.

1. dummptyhummpty macrumors regular

My mac needs to go in to apple for a few weeks and the "genius" told me to buy and external drive and back up to it. I'm using Disk Utility to make a disk image of the drive in my Powerbook. Right now I am booted from the external firewire drive. I have tried twice to make a backup and it's working fine until I come back and it says "adding resouces" and waiting for a password. I enter my password and hit ok but then get an error 39. Any ideas? Sorry if this is messed up i'm in a hurry for work. L8.

2. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

I'll also throw Carbon Copy Cloner out there. You can use it for free, and it's capable of making bootable drives! Has saved my butt once or twice.

Linkaroo.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ooops, sorry. For a long time, it wasn't Tiger compatible, but it looks like it is now. So, yes, it's also a very good option. :)

4. dummptyhummpty thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. SuperDupe worked fine and i'm actually running off the firewire drive now. Now, if I could just figure out why when I try to access my drive on my pc using MacDrive it restarts.

5. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I also recommend Carbon Copy Cloner, I use it all the time to back up my different Mac's hard drive and it works great every time.

6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

People, please search before posting new threads. This question has been covered at least a hundred times already.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

True, although never in American Sign Language. We should really remedy this. :eek: ;) :D

8. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

Make sure when you formated the Mac drive that you go into advanced options in disk utility and select MBR rather then GUID. Windows can only see drives formatted with MBR (Master Boot Record). I had the same problem initially. After this Macdrive should be able to access your Mac partitions without any problems.

9. dummptyhummpty thread starter macrumors regular

A little late on that as I asked about this a few days ago and it was answered the same day. Normaly I would search but I was in a hurry and did not have the time. I'm sorry.

10. dummptyhummpty thread starter macrumors regular

Are you sure? I used it on my g/fs Gateway fine using Mac Drive. I think it's just this computer.