backing up dvds on mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ToddW, May 30, 2005.

1. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2004
    i've decided to start backing up my dvds. i am using mac the ripper to extract them, but now i am lost as to what to do next. could anyone help me out.
  2. csubear macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2003
    handbrake will take them to mpeg4 saving you lots of space.
  3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Hello, to backup (legally) do the following:

MTR--DVD2ONEX (this will compress size down to what you want or need it to)--then use Toast 6 or Toast 5.2 to burn to DVD. If you don't have Toast then just make a disc image and burn it. :)
  4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    I've also been reading a lot on this because I have a DVD that a buddy would like to borrower but everytime he does I get it back scratched--I'm even lucky to get it back with the case! He has tons of kids who really couldn't care less what happens to stuff. Nonetheless, I hate saying no to him so I decided that now he can borrower a backup copy of the movie. That will help me start backing up my DVDs one at a time and then loaning them to him and I'll be less stressed.

Anyway sorry for the off topic.

I read that I needed Roxio Popcorn which I got and the MactheRipper which I just downloaded for free off version tracker. Someone said that if I use handbreak I cannot watch the DVDs in a stand-alone dvd player. So I am going to try this method. Hopefully it works. Otherwise I'm booting up my windows machine (yikes) for the first time in months and using my once legal copy of 321studios DVD X Copy.