Backing up emails from Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tech4all, May 30, 2005.

1. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

What is the best way to back up my emails from the Mail application in OS X? I did a backup to my external hard drive of the Library folder (among other stuff) in my Home Folder and I see the Mail folder in there. Is that all you have to do? And if so, how would I re-import the emails back incase I loose them? Reason is because I will be upgrading to Tiger and want to be sure I have everything backed up and can restore anything if I need to.

Thanks for any info :)

(btw: I did do a search for this, but couldn't find anything informative)

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think copying the folder /users/(you)/library/mail back into its original location is all you need to do, in order to restore. IIRC, many people successfully upgraded from Panther that way in clean installs. The only thing that munged that up for me was the bundles folder (/users/(you)/library/mail/bundles). I futzed with it and found an alternative on that Friday before anyone figured out that you had to delete stuff like the httpmail plugin bundle or it would not allow Mail.app to run....

3. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I do the same as mkrishnan described: /users/(you)/library/mail. I also use Apple's back up to back up my mail folder to another drive.

I wish Apple would develop a way to archive mailboxes and burn them to CD, would work sorta like burning albums in iPhoto.

4. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

tech4all

OK thanks, mkrishnan.

Yea I have that to and will probably do a back up with "Backup" as well.

Does Backup work with Tiger? And do you have to have a .Mac subscription to use it? I have a .Mac subscription, which expires in less than a month (which I'll probably renew anyways), so if I installed Tiger after my .Mac expires would I still be able to use it? If not, then I guess that means that some how the apps that come with .Mac know when to "expire" as well....

Thanks again!

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, it might have to be a DVD... :rolleyes: but this is something I really wish was easier too....

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Same, I'm always archiving iCal and Address Book and it's really quick and easy.