Backing up entire HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MarkW19, Mar 13, 2006.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I'm getting a 2nd internal HD for my Powermac G5 soon, and want to be able to make a full backup of the entire (other) HD, every night at a certain time, to my new drive.

It's just as a safety measure - so if my main hard drive dies, I'll have a backup that's a carbon copy of the original one, constantly updated, with every single file on there, bootable with all system files in place etc. and ready to go.

What's the best application to allow me to do this? Freeware ideally!

Thanks,

Mark

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Super Duper - and pay the $27.00 to get all the features - it's a great app, even if you don't pay the $27.00 to unlock everything.

Carbon Copy Cloner is free, but not as good in my opinion.

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Nice one, thanks. I'll check super duper out.

Does it create a full backup so that in effect I could just swop the 2 HDs around and they'd be absolutely identical and boot straight away?

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Yep.

5. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Yep, SupderDuper is super duper. It has a schedule feature for automatic backups at a given time. The Smart Update feature is great because it scans your backup drive and only replaces files that have been changed since your last backup, saving you a lot of time. It has saved me once already. ( Hopefully, I won't need it for a while :p )

Well worth the investment. :)

6. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Just bought the full version.

The only thing is, you need to be logged into your account with the screen unlocked for it to do a scheduled backup.

So, I'll do what it suggests and set Energy Saver to wake up my mac a minute before the backup is scheduled. My screen saver idle password is turned off..BUT, I use fast user switching, and as such, it always asks for a password after waking from sleep.

Will it not work then?