Backing up external drive with Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by djsound, Mar 11, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

djsound

I have a macbook pro that my Time Capsule backs up....but what if I get an external drive? Will Time Capsule also back that up? how does that work?

2. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Nope

Nope.

Unless you put an alias of the folder of the hard drive you wanted to back up somewhere on your internal HD.

3. macrumors 68040

Thats not true...

... Yes, you can backup your external. By default, they are excluded by Time Machine. Navigate to System Preferences > Time Machine > Options and remove your external from the excluded list.

/Jim

4. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Der

You are right, I am wrong.

Dumb mistake by me.

5. macrumors 68020

Who is right depends on where the drive is attached. If it's attached to the Mac, I think it can be included in the backup. If it's attached to a router, it cannot.

6. macrumors 68040

Correct. A drive attached to a router becomes a NAS.

The term "External Drive" refers to a drive directly connected to your computer. Another term is DAS.

By contrast... NAS drives are drives connected to the network (either via a router, or built in NAS functions, or through another computer. They cannot be backed up to Time Machine as far as I know.

/Jim