Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
I have a macbook pro that my Time Capsule backs up....but what if I get an external drive? Will Time Capsule also back that up? how does that work?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Nope

Nope.

Unless you put an alias of the folder of the hard drive you wanted to back up somewhere on your internal HD.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Nope.

Unless you put an alias of the folder of the hard drive you wanted to back up somewhere on your internal HD.

Thats not true...

... Yes, you can backup your external. By default, they are excluded by Time Machine. Navigate to System Preferences > Time Machine > Options and remove your external from the excluded list.

/Jim

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Der

Thats not true...

... Yes, you can backup your external. By default, they are excluded by Time Machine. Navigate to System Preferences > Time Machine > Options and remove your external from the excluded list.

/Jim

You are right, I am wrong.

Dumb mistake by me.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
You are right, I am wrong.

Dumb mistake by me.
Who is right depends on where the drive is attached. If it's attached to the Mac, I think it can be included in the backup. If it's attached to a router, it cannot.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Who is right depends on where the drive is attached. If it's attached to the Mac, I think it can be included in the backup. If it's attached to a router, it cannot.

Correct. A drive attached to a router becomes a NAS.

The term "External Drive" refers to a drive directly connected to your computer. Another term is DAS.

By contrast... NAS drives are drives connected to the network (either via a router, or built in NAS functions, or through another computer. They cannot be backed up to Time Machine as far as I know.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.