Backing Up Gamess information

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by poppe, Dec 27, 2006.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hello,

I just bought AOE III and I would like to back it up. I tend to scratch my games and what not.
    Do you all have any advice/programs or anything about copying the game?

Hopefully nothing to complicated because I'm not to good with all of this stuff:cool:

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I use Toast Titanium for all operations with optical disks, except for burning video DVDs of course :)

3. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Toast burns Mac/PC Games with no troubles? Just literally say copy and it works?

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Yes, I've made a lot of backups of games (both Mac and PC) using Toast and they work. You can either burn them to blank discs or keep on your hard drive/other storage device like I do. When I need to mount one I just insert a DVD with games that came on CD (for example) and mount them from within Toast. Works great!

BTW its the only way I can install games that come on DVDs on my mom's PC laptop (it only has a CD-ROM) :D

5. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh wow. Ok awesome! Would you want to (and only if you have time) give me a step by step directions to how to do that exactly? I don't have toast but I'll head out to the store and get toast in the next day or so and want to know what to do exactly.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

In the Toast's main window hit the Copy tab, insert the disk you want to copy, then click "Record" in the bottom-right corner of the window. The copy process will start. Just be sure to select the type of copy you want to make (Disk copy, image file etc) in the left slide-out panel.

7. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Do I want an image file?

Also how hard is it to copy games like AOE III? I heard Microsoft is a little hard to copy but that was coming from someone who uses Windows.

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Image file is just a copy of a disk sitting on a storage divice alongside other files. You can burn later those images to blank cd/dvd if you like and it will work just the same way the original one did.

Saving images is also useful if you dont have the proper disk burner in your machine, so you can burn it on another one.

But you can just select a "disk copy", insert your disk, click record, when its done eject that disk and insert blank one, copying will start automatically as far as I remember :)

9. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

thats fricken awesome!!!

10. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

HOw are you getting past the copy protection on the games?

11. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Do games even have it? :confused:

12. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Yes pretty sure....