Backing up info to CD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pcpacker, Nov 14, 2004.

1. pcpacker macrumors member

This is probably a silly question, but my iMac is my first new computer in 7 years. I have only worked with floppy disks up until now for backing up my Quicken data.

Now that I only have a superdrive, how should I back up my info? CD-RW, CD-R, DVD-R, etc. If I don't want to rename my backup data each time, don't I need an RW? If I do, do I ever "burn" the disk? I tried that, and now I cannot write to or even open the data on my CD-RW.

Thank you.

2. pcpacker thread starter macrumors member

I don't know if software was the right place to post that. Sorry if it is not.

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I would say CD's are best used for archiving info. If you are going to be backing up often then best bet would be an external hard drive or CD-RW's at a push. With CD-RW's you have to completely erase the disk before you can burn again. It doesn't work like floppies where you can easily add and delete data.

If you want to burn data to CD's just do it via Finder. To erase a disk, go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and you will be able to erase a disk from there.

If you're not backing up large amounts of data I would suggest looking into a USB flash drive. They are relatively cheap, are easy to add and delete data and are essentially floppies of today.

4. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I think CD's/DVD's are the best thing to use. I always backup 2 copys every 1 month or so, i keep one beside my mac and the other at home. Just drage what files you need onto the cd and dump it into the trash icon (this will auto burn it), and your done.

5. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

.Mac subscribers have a free software Backup, and I think you can use the software even with the trail .mac, but don't quote me on that one.