Backing up iPad 2 before installing iOS 5 GM?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Imola Ghost, Oct 4, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

I'm wanting to know how I should go about backing up my wife's iPad 2 before I install iOS 5 GM? The reason I ask is that I recently did a clean install of my iMac and this would be the first time I've plugged/synced it since the clean install, so it want's to erase and delete everything.

I've got PhoneView so I can manually backup her photos and books. However the applications are being a little tricky. I don't see a way to get a copy/backup her applications.

I'm going to be in the same situation on her iPhone 3GS also so I want to address this. I don't have to worry about her Contacts and email because we use MobileMe for syncing those.

Ideas?

2. macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

I'm not sure I follow you. Do you mean another way to back it up other than connecting it to iTunes and syncing it? That will back everything it up. As a matter of fact I was in the process of installing iOS 5 GM on my iPad 2 but my Windows 7 PC is complaining about an unknown USB device just before it was going to restore using the iOS 5 GM. So I ended up having to restore from my backup of the 4.x.x version I was running.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

Just imagine that you have synced/backed up your iPad 2 on another computer so when you plug it in and try to sync it with the other computer iTunes wants to delete/erase it.

4. macrumors regular

Related Q

I have another related questions about backing up...

- What if I don't want to backup my iPad before updating to iOS 5?
    I remember when I hit the "don't backup" option from the update, the process cancels itself.

- will I have to delete all data from the iPad using iTunes and then perform the iOS update?
    cause my PC has just 8GB left, so I won't be able tu backup.

- is it possible to backup everything to iCloud, including the non-bought from iTunes things?

5. macrumors 603

Menel

Plug in iPad
    Cancel sync
    Right click iPad and select backup
    ...???
    Upgrade
    Restore
    Profit

6. macrumors regular

iKIKO

yeah do a back up before, i personally make 2 back ups just in case before doing anything with restores or updates ;)