Backing up iPhoto / iTunes archives

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jbrown, Apr 11, 2006.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Hi

I want to backup to DVD sizable chunks if my photo/music collections to free up space. These are mostly work related, so at some time I'd like to put them back on in as hassle free manner as possible.

Whats the best method to do this - so essentially they are on DVD and when I need them either iPhoto / iTunes recognizes them straight off the DVD, or if I wish I can copy them back onto my laptop. I would like to maintain my folder structure when they are back on if possible.

cheers

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

For iTunes, Apple made you a guide.

For iPhoto, I could only find this. Basically, selecting the photos you want to back up and then clicking Burn in the Share menu should suffice in iPhoto 6. Or you can send them to iDVD. :)

If you have the space to make an entire back up, then just get a copy of the iTunes folder within Music and the iPhoto folder within Pictures. By default, your respective libraries should be kept there and putting the back up back where you found it should restore everything seamlessly. :)

3. sjshaw macrumors regular

4. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Thanks for the link - and in one way it's definitely scoring points - its FREE!!!LOL. Now in my useful apps folder.

However - I don't want to backup the entire contents, just the files I wish to. I would assume there is a way of doing this, and I'd guess without needing third party software to do it ( not that I have any objections to TPS if it does the job )