backing up iPhoto pics

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fjs08, Jul 11, 2006.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,
    I want to back up my iPhoto library. I used BackUp and it works fine, but if I'm reading this correctly, the only way to view the photo's is to restore the BackUp file. Is this right???

Is there a way to save the photo's to a DVD or other storage device so that I can just view the photo's at my discretion??

Thanks.

Frank

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If you are going to always view them on a Mac (with iPhoto) then yes. Under Share, select Burn, which will copy the selected pictures to a CD or DVD, that can later be viewed in iPhoto whenever you want.

If you want to burn a CD/DVD that contains pictures to be viewed on a Mac or PC, you can select which pictures you want in iPhoto, click-and-drag them into a burn folder in Finder, and then burn. :)

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>f you want to burn a CD/DVD that contains pictures to be viewed on a Mac or PC, you can select which pictures you want in iPhoto, click-and-drag them into a burn folder in Finder, and then burn.<,

Actually, I want to clear off my SD disks so I can reuse them. I've been using them as "storage," and it does get expensive. I guess I can copy them to a dvd or cd as you mentioned above. I've thought about an external HD too. They're a bit expensive and apparently not as copy/paste as a CD or DVD.

Frank

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

An external Hard Drive would be perfect for what you want to do. You could select the pictures you want to copy in iPhoto, and click-and-drag them straight into the external HDD. This would give you a backup of your pictures in iPhoto, that could be viewed on Macs & PCs. Another plus with an external HDD is that you can continue to write to them, so you can add pictures as you take them; with CDs/DVDs it's a one time deal.

Even after you copy these pictures over, I strongly recommend you also keep them in your iPhoto library. For something as important as photos, it's always best to have your main copy, and then at least one backup.