Backing Up KotOR to DVD, need some help.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Acoustica, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Acoustica macrumors member

Hi everyone. I just purchased Knights of the Old Republic (my first big game purchase for a Mac) and I can't believe how much I LOVE this game! I'm also a rabid fan of backups and failsafes because you never know when the proverbial 'ish will hit the fan. I'm wondering how I might go about backing up the DVD that the game is on so that I can keep one DVD on reserve incase the other gets scratched or whatever. I'm not too familiar with backing up data that is already on DVDs/CDs so any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

2. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Legal concerns aside, making a disk image for a DVD often will not produce an identical copy of the DVD. This is because often there are ID codes that are written to the original copy of the DVD that are not read and included in any disk image made of the DVD. Personally, I wouldn't mess with it, and just take good care of your disc.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

1) What hes proposing is perfectly legal.
    2) Data DVDs have no encoding.
    3) You can use either Disk Utility or Toast to make a copy.

With Disk Utility, you want to make a CD/DVD Master Disk Image of the DVD, then after its done, insert a blank DVD and then burn the image onto the DVD.

With Toast, just hit Copy DVD, insert the DVD, hit "Record." It will automatically make a disk image, then ask you to insert a Blank DVD. After you do that, it will burn it onto the blank DVD.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I successfully copied mine with Toast, no problems whatsoever.

5. Acoustica thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone! I successfully made a .cdr image and burned it to DVD, but unfortunately when I was testing it out to see if it would work I got the error message that read:

"Knights of the Old Republic game disc was not found. You must use your original game disc."

This is a bit disconcerning to me because if I am unable to use the original DVD for reinstallation and/or gameplay, then I'm basically S.O.L. If this is turning into a grey area of discussion, because I know the seriousness of game piracy these days, then I understand if certain things can't be discussed. This is simply for backup purposes and something I do with all my other software, this is just the first game I've tried to back up.

6. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

CrazyEddie - case in point.

7. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

You always want to try mounting the disc image you make before you burn it to make sure it works okay. What version of toast are you using? I've never had a backup problem of games in Toast 6... are you using a DVD-RW? Games can check that... if I were to guess, I'd say that's the problem.

8. Santiago macrumors regular

The reason you cannot copy DVDs perfectly is due to the blanks. "Blank" DVDs already have some bits on them that effectively state, "This is a consumer-grade DVD." DVD players, for example, are unwilling to decode encrypted video on a DVD with such a label on it (which is why you need to use DeCSS to decrypt the video before burning it onto your own blank if you wish to play it back in a commercial DVD player). The game may be checking to see what sort of DVD you are using, and rejecting one that is not factory-produced.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

grr, this sort of thing annoys me. What he's doing is perfectly legal (and ethical as well) and it really gets me that DVD makers put these hidden little markers in there.

There is also an application called "DVDbackup" that allows you to make encryption-free back-ups of commercial video DVDs for burning to blanks... only for backing up what you already own, of course...

10. applekid macrumors 68020

If you ever break/damage your DVD/CD to a point it can't be used to play any game, most publishers will be ready to replace your copy for a small fee for shipping and such. Just make sure to keep a receipt, the original box, and jewel case.

I'll admit I make backup copies of my games. In the SimCity 3000 manual, I remember reading make sure to make a backup copy of your game and throw it in a safe or something to keep it protected. They say if all else fails, just send your broken copy plus $4.95 and they'll send you a new one. For most companies, that's basically the same policy.

11. point665 macrumors regular

Wow applekid, great tip... Now does anyone know where to get broken cds in big piles?

12. applekid macrumors 68020

*crickets chirping*

I did mention the original box, jewel case, and receipt in the first paragraph. :p

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

As I said above, it worked for me. Maybe it's because I'm using cheap media - maybe these 'protection bits' aren't set. It's 'Laser' brand if anyone cares. I used Toast 6.0.7.

14. Acoustica thread starter macrumors member

Hey there everyone. To answer a few questions:

I'm using the Disk Utility in my Applications/Utilities folder because I don't have any other burning software on here. What I'm doing is putting the DVD in and making a new image, set as the master DVD of the info on the DVD I had installed. The image is created as a .cdr file and I'm burning the image onto an Apple DVD-R 4x. Using both the DVD and the image that is on my HDD, I get the same error. I'm not sure about the legal use of decryption software so I'm a bit warry to use it to decrypt my DVD for game backup. Any other ideas? Thanks for all your help/insight so far, it's greatly appreciated and I'm learning quite a bit in the process!

15. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Try a .dmg file, but even then I'm doubtful it will work properly.