Backing up Mac OS X and Windows XP files on the same drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by debrg, Dec 24, 2006.

1. debrg macrumors newbie

Dec 24, 2006
    HI, thanks in advance for any assistance. I just bought an Iomega Black Series triple interface HD. I want to backup my Mac to it using SuperDuper. I also have a PC sitting around for when I buy an Intel Mac. I would also like to back up files from it to the HD. Will this work or will the formatting for each system not be compatible. Can I partition the drive so I can do this? I have 400G and don't need too much for the windows files. If I can partition, what program would you recommend?
    It looks like Iomega says you have to format the HD right off with a Mac format and they don't recommend partitioning. Any opinions?
    Many thanks!
  2. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    I've never come across a HD manufacturer that recommends you don't partition the drive. I would stay away from a HD if I came across that recommendation.

Anyway, most external hard drives are easily formatted. I have a 500GB drive that I've split into three. One is a Mac HFS+ partition sized 20GB. I installed OS X on that to have a spare install, and to test out OS X updates before applying them to my main disk. This also came in useful when my wife's MacBook's HD failed.

The other two partitions are a large 450GB HFS+ for Mac backups and the rest is FAT32 for access from my Parallels XP install, and in case I ever decide bring my work laptop home again.

I used Disk Utility.
  3. debrg thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 24, 2006
    Backing up dual OS'es on the same external hard drive

Thank you! I forgot about disk utility! Didn't make sense to me that you would be advised not to partition. I read that on another forum. Plus the drive is Win/Mac compatible...
  4. GraceMolloy macrumors regular

Oct 28, 2006
    I went HFSJ and installed MacDrive. The combo works great.