Backing up my "Software Updates"?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by generik, Nov 1, 2005.

1. generik macrumors 601

generik

Hi,

I just did a full download of all the "Software Updates" that were available.. woah.. quite a lot.. and I thought Windows was bad :D

Is it possible to backup those installed packages? Just in case I need to reinstall my entire OS, at least I won't have to download them :D

Thanks!

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Instead of using software update, you can download the updates from Apple's website. That way you can save the files. But I don't reinstall OS X. I just make full backups of my drive every month or so. Never had to use them though.

3. generik thread starter macrumors 601

generik

How do you backup your drive? A Mac equivalent of Norton Ghost?

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I use SuperDuper to make a complete bootable backup to an external firewire drive.

5. generik thread starter macrumors 601

generik

Any chance that it'd work with USB drives?

Or even *gasp* an iPod connected via FW?

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm pretty sure you can back up to USB. I know you cannot boot from USB though.

Yes, you can. But a full bootable backup is a bit for bit transfer. Meaning if you are using 20 GB of space on your computer, you will use 20 GB of space on you iPod.

I actually have two externals. One is 250 GB and for storage. The other is 100 GB (the same size as my system hard drive) and firewire. I use it for backups and only backups. I never had to recover from it, but I think it was a good investment any way.

7. MikeGA macrumors newbie

What you can do is tell Software Update to retain the packages afters it's downloaded and installed them. This way, you can backup the folder:

/Library/Packages

(I think that's right!)