Backing up my stuff on panther

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by clcnyc, Aug 18, 2004.

1. clcnyc macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2004
    Ok, I know there are other threads on the subject, but they seem outdated now and i want someone to see this! ;)

What's a simple way for me to backup my stuff (just my home directory, with my music and pics, docs-no apps), when a dvd-rw is only 4.7 gigs? My music library is over 6gigs alone! :confused:

BTW, I have a 1Ghz iMac Superdrive, 768MB RAM, Panther 10.3.5
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    You've got several options. You can split the backup across multiple DVDs yourself, or use a program such as Apple's Backup (need to be a .Mac subscriber) or Dantz's Retrospect Desktop (commercial) to do it for you. You can also use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner to make a complete copy of your hard disk to an external drive.
  3. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Instead of making backups onto a DVD it's prob best to invest in an external hard drive. You can also make backups onto an iPod if you have one - just saves a lot of time and effort compared to using DVD's, especially when you're music and photos start growing! :)
  4. scottwat macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2003
    Ohio USA

Go for the external HD. Though making DVD backups help. It just depends on the level of security you need. No one says you should only back up one way. What happens if the DVD's get scratched? Or the external HD malfunctions. Odds are both events wont happen at once, but you might want a 3rd method for added security. But an External HD could backup your whole HD or just your home dir.