Backing up my Tunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PlaceofDis, Mar 16, 2005.

1. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    ok, i have a 12' powerbook g4, rev a, Combo drive
    my internal harddrive failed not too long ago, i had to start over, sucks big time, well i had most of my music backed up so it wasnt that big of an issue, especially since i had yet to rip it all in the first place, so rather than replace my internal drive i just got an extrenal 160gig drive to make it through the semester

problem i have now is that there are 19.24 gigs of tunes on the external and i want to back it all up so i dont have to re-rip it all again, but with a combo drive thats going to take a LOT of discs

my parents have a Compaq with a DVD burner though, whats the easiest way for me to get my tracks over onto thier computer so i can burn them onto DVDs?
  2. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    turn the ftp server under system preference->sharing. after that get an ftp client for your parents compaq from you login and password will be your login a password. since you are using an external drive you drive will show up in /Volumes/(drive name). your state in /home/user_name/ so you will need to go up (back out) the directory tree.

then you can just copy all the files over.

oops i forgot. all this assume you have LAN already.
  3. sacear macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    Well, the easiest way is to simply plug the external drive into your parents computer and copy the files to DVDs.
  4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    If the Compaq has a FireWire port one way is to put your PowerBook in FireWire Target-mode (hold down 'T' under startup) and connect it to the Compaq via a FireWire cable as another external FireWire disk.

(Note that the FireWire drivers under Windows are not the best in the world and that you'll have to install a tool on the Compaq so it can read the Mac's filesystem. I don't remember what that little program is called, and I'm too lazy to search :eek:)

Edit: Well maybe it will be easier to just format the external disk to FAT and drag all the music ant the iTunes Library files to the external disk, and then connect that to the Compaq and burn DVDs. (Or just keep them on the external drive and keep that a safe place.)

It's almost noon and I still need another coffee... :p