Backing up OS X from the hard disk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Thomas Harte, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

Following comments on another thread, I last Wednesday obtained a 400 Mhz G4 PowerMac from eBay. It isn't ultimately for me, but I will probably end up caring for it if anything should go wrong. I have a 667 Mhz G4 PowerBook.

The machine has come without any install discs. The installed OS is OS X v10.0.4. The machine only has a DVD-ROM, but my PowerBook has a CD writer and I have an external firewire hard disk that is larger than the one inside the machine. Even though I doubt that I will keep 10.0 on the machine as there seems to be almost no software that is compatible with it, I would like to create a backup of some sort as a security net. I'm a broadly recent convert from the Windows world and I would feel much happier with such a thing.

Is there any way to create an archive of a current disk that can be restored at a later date? I guess what I'm asking is whether there is anything similar to Norton Ghost that I could use? If not is there any other way I could create a backup?

2. JasonGough macrumors regular

JasonGough

i use SuperDuper! for my backups...

its makes a disk image of the entire OS that you can restore at any time.. but you'll basicly need as much space as the original to store the file... unless you want to wait hours for the compression thing to do its bit.

You can also download a fuly working demo from their website, hit google for that :)

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You should probably just install a newer OS over it. Try doing it from the Install/Restore disc(s) that came with your PB. It *should* work, as I don't think the Yikes! or Sawtooth machines have any hardware that your PB doesn't have. A retail disc would be much better suited though.