backing up osx - newbie question?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by b0nehead, Dec 20, 2003.

1. b0nehead macrumors newbie

I am going to install 10.3.2, but before I do I want to be able to go back to 10.3.1 if I have any problems with 10.3.2. Could you please explain to me how to set OSX up this way? Thanks!

2. b0nehead thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I wouldn't worry about it. Take a small leap of faith and assume everything will go well.

4. b0nehead thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, with all the problems I have been hearing about 10.3.2, I am hesitant to update. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of those complaints are a result of self-inflicted problems.

6. neut macrumors 68000

neut

don't worry unless you use a lot of audio programs...and that's a driver issue. evrythings fine here; just a few unexpected crashes in my audio programs...usually my fault for trying to do to many things at once in complex audio situations.

peace.

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Get Carbon Copy Cloner and clone your disk on an external firewire drive, you can at least boot from it if your system goes to hell and do a clone back on the HD.

Anybody care to confirm?

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

What have you heard?

I'll go along with MisterMe about problems being self-inflicted. After reading the forums for a while that really seems to be what causes the biggest problems in Macs that should be healthy. "While I was installing 10.3.2 I hit my monitor with a hammer and now it doesn't work. 10.3.2 is flawed, it sucks, and you shouldn't download it. Apple sucks!"

Also, this is the internet. You're only going to hear the negative stuff. People with positive experiences have no reason to post. People who have something go wrong want help so they post. You might see 5 people with a certain problem but you don't see the 100,000 who had no problems.

For the record, I have no 10.3.2 problems. The only update that ever gave me problems was the first 10.2.8. Also, the AirPort Extreme base station is not the finest product ever made. Apart from that, I've had only great expereinces with Apple products.

9. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

It's actually much easier to just make a full disk copy with Disk Utility. (Make sure to put it on another partition or, even better, burn it on a dvd-r.) Then, when things indeed do go berserk, use the disk image to restore the Mac OS X-disk.

Definitely a life saving feature in Panther. Actually, anyone who has only just installed Panther should make a disk image of the startup volume with Disk Utility, making sure the image will not be bigger than 4.4GB (so it can be burned on a dvd-r). Then you have your own Software Restore disk!

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yeah, the DVD-R method works, but has its limits if you have a larger chunk of data in your users directory, and don't want to loose your home folders.

Personally, I like the firewire/CCC method, too. I always make a clone before major system changes, and whenever I feel like it to protect the minor data changes going on in my home folder.

Not only are you able to completely roll back to the last known good setup, but you can be started up and running from your backup in less than a minute, with no perceptable difference from using the internal drive.

Peace of mind. It's all about peace of mind.