Backing up purchased DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cycocelica, Dec 11, 2006.

1. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

No this is not about being illegal, so hear me out.

So I back up all my purchased DVDs as a safety precaution. These days though, DVDs are getting harder and harder to back up with all the copy right protections. Right now I use, Mac The Ripper, then DVD2oneX, then Disk Utility. Mac the Ripper has a really hard time sometime ripping the copy protection off the newer DVDs. Is there a better method (program)? I'll take any ideas. Is Toast a all-in-one program? Thank you.

2. bozigle macrumors regular

Legal.... legal... such a strange word... and so many different meanings.
    Well first if you experience problem with the ripper, i read from an other thread that the dude was was to react to new protection algo so might have just to wait a bit... if you want to speed up the process you can send him the list of the dvds that give you headache and a bit of money(he has to take days off his paying job to work on the ripper)
    Toast is an All in one solution and indeed allows you to backup your own dvd, even the protected ones... I didn't have any problem with any dvds so far but i haven't been using Toast for a long time and i do not back up many dvd so i wouldn't be surprise if there are some that still won't be backup.
    That said i found toast a much better alternative to others... now is it worth the money asked when there are so great freewares outside... hum maybe.
    bozigle

3. cycocelica thread starter macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Is there a good freeware alternative that could be recommended instead of Toast?

4. bozigle macrumors regular

Well i do use myself
    the ripper dvd->video_ts
    handbrake dvd->h.264
    dvd imager video_ts->dvd
    toast (commercial)

you get also popcorn from roxio for cheaper and not all the same functions
    bozigle

5. cycocelica thread starter macrumors 68000

cycocelica

6. leealexander1 macrumors newbie

Can you please tell me how to watch the movies on the hard drive. I'm not bothered about burning to dvd.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

8. ericthered macrumors member

[QUOTE
    Toast is an All in one solution and indeed allows you to backup your own dvd, even the protected ones... I didn't have any problem with any dvds so far [/QUOTE]

Hmmm...

Do you work for Roxio? Toast does not work for copying protected DVD's.