Backing up - SilverKeeper Help please

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ScotRobson, Apr 15, 2005.

1. ScotRobson macrumors 6502

Hi

I have had a LeCie external hard drive for a while now and never got round to using it :eek:

So yesterday I decided that it was time to back up my system. The things I am most worried about are my music, emails and pictures.

What I did was chose to back up my home folder and chose that as a "set" - is this the right thing to do to back up everything i want to?

Also, I would like it to backup every night at midnight. I have set it to do that however I dont know if I need to keep my LeCie mounted on my desktop and SilverKeeper open, or will it work if my LeCie is ejected and the SilverKeeper software is quit?????

Also I have another user which I would like to back up aswell - I am unable to access any of the files for that user unless I am logged into that account. So i'm a bit worried that if I select that users home folder from my main account that it will not back up properly? Does that make sense?

Many thanks
    Scot

2. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I use Silverkeeper with my LaCie. You don't have to keep the application running. Even better - it wakes your Mac up, backs up then let's it go back to sleep. I back up the entire Macintosh HD with no problems. Oh, you do need to keep the LaCie mounted...

3. ScotRobson thread starter macrumors 6502

I am having a problem with getting silverkeeper to back up automatically - i have set it to back up at 22.30 daily but it doesnt seem to work. I have noticed when i am sat at the computer that sometimes silverkeeper pops open, but then it closes straight away and not at the time its meant to.

Could someone post a screen shot of how my settings should be - or give me some idea as to what might be wrong. Also I do change things on my mac everyday so it should always be backing up or at least changing something.

Thanks
    Scot

4. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Double check what has been backed up by Silverkeeper. Silverkeeper has worked for me, but I let a friend borrow my external drive and it didn't back up everything that she needed it to backup. PEBKAC. She set up exclusions that were not exsactly what she needed. I didn't double check the backup.

I don't run the program on a schedule, so I can't help you there.

5. ScotRobson thread starter macrumors 6502

My whole home folder is backed up. Its not a problem with it not backing up certain things only that it doesnt do it automatically when it is meant to.

6. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Double check what has been backed up by Silverkeeper. Silverkeeper has worked for me, but I let a friend borrow my external drive and it didn't back up everything that she needed it to backup. PEBKAC. She set up exclusions that were not exactly what she needed. I didn't double-check the backup. Her computer crashed and she is now paying for data reclamation.

I don't run the program on a schedule, so I can't help you there.