Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KooBrewoP

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2004
behind you!
I back up most of my data onto an LACIE external hard drive, will this separate and protect data, from anything that could corrupt/destroy my power book HD? Is their any way to store info in a "safe state" that could survive most hard/software problems?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
If you are totally paranoid about your data (and you sound it) then you need to separate the backup from the original. If your iBook and the backup are in your house when it burns down/is nuked/hit by a huge EMP then both disks are toast. Backup when at your parents and leave the backup there (for example). For better safety lock the backup in a fireproof lead-lined box!

All of this is partially serious. If you can only keep the backup in the same location as the original then hide it away. That way if someone breaks in and swipes the iBook they might well not find the backup and you'll still have your data. A fireproof safe would provide more protection. If the drive is powered down then it will be able to withstand more static shock than if it's running.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Backup critical stuff to DVDs every once in a while, and store those someplace fireproof (offsite is best, but few do that, including me). Use the external normally - no point in having it if it's always locked away.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
jsw said:
Backup critical stuff to DVDs every once in a while, and store those someplace fireproof (offsite is best, but few do that, including me). Use the external normally - no point in having it if it's always locked away.

That is what I do. Works great, I guess, never had to rebuild-knock on skull, I mean wood.

KooBrewoP

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2004
behind you!
im not paranoid, why are you calling me paranoid?, why would i be paranoid? who told you to say i was paranoid?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.