Backing up user information before clean install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by EAH22, Jul 21, 2006.

1. EAH22 macrumors member

I want to do a clean install on my macbook to add some space to my hard drive.

Before I do so I want to backup my user information, books marks, and system information. Is there a way to do this? I have an external hard drive I could put it on.

Thanks in advance.
    EAH22

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. EAH22 thread starter macrumors member

Then how would I get my information from the carbon copy back on my internal hard drive on the macbook?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

CCC in the oposite direction.

SuperDuper! is also a great solution (same deal as CCC).

5. EAH22 thread starter macrumors member

I asked this in another forum and didnt get the answer either :( I am starting to think its not possible. Maybe because of security reasons or something.

I assumed all I would have to do is copy some files or folder to my external hard drive and but them back in their respected sections on my hard drive after the clean install.

Edit- Just to make it clear I only want to back up my user account information, system preference, and bookmarks.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

They lied to you then. I do this ALL the time.

Use SuperDuper or CCC to clone your laptop to the external (note, it will have to erase the external), erase your laptop, boot from the external and clone back onto the laptop.

Or.

Just drag & drop to copy your /Users/you/ folder onto the external drive, erase, reinstall, and then when you recreate your user, copy the stuff back from your external drive.

7. EAH22 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, that is what I was looking for. I knew it couldnt be that difficult. The mac os is great!!!

The folder will have my booksmarks, system or I guess "user" preferences? Or just user preferences?

Hey thanks again :)
    I really appreciate it.

8. EAH22 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again yellow.

For any new mac users out there I just added like 40 gigs of space to my macbook by just installing what I needed.

Do it at your own risk, but I wish I would have done it the first week I got my macbook. I highly recommend an erase and install. :)