Backing Up windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by insomniac321123, Jan 8, 2007.

1. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

Jan 23, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    I know that this is probably the wrong place for this, but i dont know where else to put it.

I need to back up windows. Everything on a windows machine. I think that there is a virus in the windows OS files. Does anyone know a program for windows to back everything up and then reinstall it when I reload the OS?

2. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    the best way is to run anti-virus software (Free ones like a!vast or AVG etc.)

i don't really know what do u mean by "backup windows",

1. if u are talking about backing up your personal file, but NOT programs and windows system, then just use an external hard drive

2. if u are talking about totally backup ur windows AND programs and personal file, i don't see why you need to do that, since a total clone will clone the virus too, when u restore it, u got virus again. (norton ghost is the one u can use to image/clone your harddisk to an external harddrive)

3. if u are talking about backup program and personal files, but NOT windows system, then u need to know the programs (big ones, some small program does not need re-install, like firefox) will need to be re-installed after you re-install the windows, so there is really no need to back up them. go back with #1

finally, always have a anti-virus software running, there are quite a few free ones, don't really cost anything, so, why not? :D