backing up with external HD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dorqiekat, Oct 24, 2006.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2004
    I think my computer is about to die any second.

The whole noise problem listed here has just gotten worse. It's so bad I can't even move the computer off from the desk. It'll start screaming. It's so loud and sensitive. :mad:

So I'm trying to back up everything so I won't have a crying hissy fit. Which back up external HD (for really cheap- under $100) do you guys recommend? All I need is 100 gig or less. 80 will even do.

However, I am paranoid that the external HD will break while housing my most treasured media... so something that won't die will be great.
  2. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Mar 15, 2006
    HB, CA
    i recommend the new sleeky and sexy wd passport 80GB. it's in prisitine black (apple-esque, I'd say) but its a little over 100 bucks with taxes. my dad has it and there are no problems. just plug and chug. circuit city has it, but if you're looking elsewhere, here's a pricegrabber link.

if you're ok with the power ordeal, there's a cheap deal on the WD My Book 160GB.
  3. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2004
    Is this like from online user sellers? Like from other people than stores? I'd rather stick to stores incase I want to return it.
  4. telecomm macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    Which of these options will be best for you will really depend on what you want to be able to do with your drive—do you want it to be portable (and bus powered), or are you OK with keeping the drive plugged in on a desk? If you don't mind a desktop external, you can generally get faster (i.e., 7200 RPM), higher capacity drives in the larger format for the same price as a slower portable drive. the WD Essential drive that was recommended above also comes in 80 GB capacity. Myself, I've got a WD My Book Premium drive among my externals, and I've been happy with it so far.