Backing up Xbox/PS2 games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Wild Ace, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Wild Ace macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. Can someone please help me with my PS2 and Xbox backups? Can Toast Titanium do the trick? I have Toast, and I also have a Lacie DVD burner. Sorry, I'm a noob.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I dont know if there is any OSX software which can do this (i have no superdrive) but Nero on Windows can burn Xbox games no problem. they have to be a UDF+ISO with Forced Xbox Compatibility ticked for them to work at all. obviously a modded/chipped Xbox is needed.

not sure about PS2.

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

PS2 DVDs are just DVDs with summat added to auth them. You'll need a mod chip (for PS2, I used the DSM4 EZI - the only solderless PS2 chip out there - be warned, the solder points on the PS2 are fscking small, and if you screw 1 up, you have a dead PS2), and I'd recommend using a HDD (for PS2, you'll need one of the pre-slim ones and a network adapter), as you won't need to burn them - just use programs usually already on the chip to add it to the HDD (I'd recommend at least an 80GB one)

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

if the point of chipping a console and copying games is to save money then wouldn't a network adapter and Sony HDD AND a chip cost a hellofalotta money?

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

How is backing up games saving money? Plus, it's easier (no disk swapping) and games load a hell of a lot faster (TS2 loadings of 15 seconds fall to around 4)

6. Wild Ace thread starter macrumors newbie

So backed up games load slower? If that's the case, I'll just keep a close eye on my games, hehehe. Do you also lose quality in the copy, such as in graphics?

7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

You cannot lose any quality. It's digital, not analogue. And any optical disk will load slower than a harddrive, because, iirc, the bandwidth of the PS2 drive is about 12Mbps, whereas the bandwidth you can get from an IDE HDD is 30-40Mbps