1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Backlight - iBook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by derf, Aug 8, 2005.

1. macrumors newbie

My iBook's backlight does not come on until the unit is completely powered up and in OSX tiger. When the unit powers up, there should be a little apple and then the spinning thing. Which I can see, barely, But the backlight does not light up. Anyone know how to turn the backlight back on in startup?

2. macrumors 68030

skubish

Mine does the same thing. I am not sure there is anything that can be done.

3. macrumors newbie

Well, I think I remember messing with something when I was trying to figure out why my cd-rw would not accept cd's. I don't remember :( there has to be a way to fix it :(

4. macrumors 601

ITASOR

You guys talking about newest revision iBooks or older ones?

5. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm not near my iBook at the moment but from memory this only happens when you start up from battery, right? I'm pretty sure I get backlight most of the time because it's plugged into the wall.

I'll check when I get back to my little iBook. :)

6. macrumors newbie

I have the revision before the last one. Also it happens when it is connected to power as well.

7. macrumors newbie

Hey, My friend came into work today and figured it out for us. You have to reset the P-Ram. To do this restart the computer, and as soon as it starts to boot, hold down "apple + option + P + R" keep holding them down until the computer restarts 3 times, then you let them go and let the computer boot normally. As soon as he did this the backlight turned right back on.

Hope this helps ;)