Backlight keyboard not working

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by johng723, Jun 5, 2004.

1. johng723 macrumors member

Ok, so I received my powerbook not too long ago and I'm very happy with. But when I tried to use the illuminated keyboard, it doesnt seem to work. I dont even have an option to turn it on or off in the system preferences/keyboard and mouse. I know that my computer was supposed to come with backlight because it says on the box that it came with and i have a 15" superdrive. the f8,f9 and f10 key don't work either... :confused:
    what should I do?? I'm afraid if i have to send it back to apple it will take another week or more to get it back to me and I am in dire need of a computer right now

2. MontgomeryBurns macrumors member

If you have an illuminated keyboard there should be keyboard illumination options in the "keyboard" tab of the keyboard & mouse preferences. By default the backlight will come on when the computer enters low-light conditions.

If your keyboard preferences aren't giving you backlight options it may be that the computer isn't detecting the backlight for some reason. Also some f-keys not working in addition to the backlight may suggest a bunk keyboard. If you need it now, hang on to it, as the backlit keyboard isn't a necessity, then take it to a repair shop or mail it to apple when you can be without it for a few days.

Just my 2¢.

3. bookworm182 macrumors newbie

i had the same problem...

back in october or whenever it was that panther came out. I upgraded from 10.2.8 i believe it was, and my backlight on my keyboard no longer worked. On my machine too, the preferences didn't even show up any more in the preference panels and the keys didn't work. I thought maybe it was a problem with the Panther OS, but I called Apple and eventually they said that it was just a coincidence, and the motherboard (I'm pretty sure) was bad and needed to be replaced. I had to send it in :( ...but I survived. Now all is well, except for the screen, which has the white spots...I just can't part with my machine long enough to send it in! :p

4. johng723 thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks, I'll just try calling the technical support team tomorrow. Did you by anychance end up losing any of your harddrive when they replaced the motherboard?