Backlight on MB screen went out temporarily...should I worry?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reubs, Dec 2, 2006.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

Last night I was updating my iPod, and the backlight would not come on on my Macbook. The CD drive made the noises it usually make when it wakes up, but the screen stayed dark...I could see the outline of my wallpaper and just enough to do the update, but nothing else.

I restarted and the problem fixed itself, but I was wondering if anyone else had had this problem and if I should worry about this immediately.

Thanks in advance.

2. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

I had a similar problem a few days ago when I woke up my sleeping MacBook. I had a dark screen with a silhouette of my desktop just as if my screen brightness was turned all the way down. No problems after a restart but it freaked me out a bit with all the screen flicker/darkness problems posted lately. I have already had enough probs with this computer.

3. iMinnesotan macrumors member

iMinnesotan

So it's not just me. I closed the lid, took my MBP to another room, and then I could hear the MBP wake up again but the backlight would not come up no matter what I tried. I command-Q'ed a few times and could hear from the hard drive the apps shutting down, hit the power button and enter. After it shut down, I turned it on again and all was fine. I hope this doesn't happen often.

4. smacman macrumors 6502

Add me to the list. My MBP C2D did that about 3hrs after it was unboxed. It must be a bug of some sort.

5. rykwon97 macrumors newbie

Add two more to the list. I have had this exact problem happen to me twice in the last two weeks on my macbook, and also a co-worker had it with his macbook. The first time it happened, I said a few choice words since I have already had my share of problems. It is only a guess but I have a feeling it has something to do with the recent EFI update. Everything was running fine for months, I update, and the problem appears. Strange thing is, when it happened, restarted, still there, let it sit a few minutes and everything was fine except for display turned all the way down. Sort of reminded me of a PRAM reset. Glad to know I am not the only once experienceing this.

6. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Add one more. My friend's MacBook Pro did the same thing a week after he got it, so... that was an old cd though 4 months ago.

7. thebeephaha macrumors 6502

thebeephaha

The computers are just thinking the screen is closed or whatever, its nothing to worry about, its just a glitch guys... Just reset the comp when they do this.

8. skasol macrumors 6502

mine just did this and I tried restarting it as well as resetting th pram and no luck any other suggetions?

Thanks in advance.

9. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

Pray? :eek: