Backlighting Issue and question.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by stk04, Nov 30, 2004.

1. stk04 macrumors newbie

Its been maybe 1 year or so since my brother touched his pwbook g4, i picked it up yesterday to figure out that the backlight (Cold Cathode) is out and that it needs a replacement, the measurements are 4.1mm by 220mm and I found a suffecient light.

Mouser Part #: 560-BF4220-20B Page 45
    Mfr. Part #: BF4220-20B Data Sheet
    Mfr: JKL Components
    Category: CCFL Florescent Lamps
    Description: JKL CCFL Cold Cathode Fluorescent Backlighting Lamps 4.1mm 4.1mm X 220mm, White

I was wondering if I should go ahead and purchase this item, and perhaps install it myself? Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.!

Take care.

2. diamond geezer macrumors regular

The PowerBook G4s (titanium) LCD display assembly is glued together and almost impossible to seperate without damaging the LCD.

I'd love to know the trick to getting it apart.

How did you do it?

3. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I tried to "fix" the screen on my old 5300cs and got a pretty good shock from it :eek: Yeah, I was being a numbnuts and not following directions, but the point is the TiBooks are still worth some money, so you might want to see how much it costs to have someone do it for you. If you screw it up and bust the thing, it'll drop the value of it considerably if you ever decide to sell it. (Remember, the LCD is the most expensive part of a notebook.)

If you know what you're doing though, more power to you. Take some photos and let us know how it went :)