Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Today, for the first time, my PB's keyboard lit up due to real-world conditions. It was soo cool. Normally when it lights up is because someone cast a shadow on my PB, or because someone is messing with the lights. But today I was working without light, using the sun to light up my room, and had the blinds open. Ant its almost night time here. Anyways out of nowhere my KB lit up, and I looked around, and it was dark! It was so unexpected, it was nice. Today I got to appreciate the nice little things about my PB :)

Had to share...

Who here actually uses the KB backlight? And for those who don't have it, do you wish you had it because you need it, or because it looks awesome?

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Yep, I use mine in the car, on the plane (if I don't want to use the reading light), and even just at my desk. I like it better than a glaring desk lamp at night.

thecow

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
What color is the keyboard backlight? I always thought it was blueish, but I might have made that up. I am still using my TiBook for now. That will hopefully change after the intel pbks come out.

Eluon

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Spring, Texas
I wish my iBook G4 12inch had it. I think it makes sense to have it on all of the portables. Why? Because students work in dim lit areas too. Not all of us can afford the PB.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Eluon said:
I wish my iBook G4 12inch had it. I think it makes sense to have it on all of the portables. Why? Because students work in dim lit areas too. Not all of us can afford the PB.

It takes up a lot of space in the computer for the backlit keyboard and decreases battery life.

And the color is green just like the color of the num lock and caps lock key

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
I rarely use it but it is nice (and looks awsome) when I do.

Green? What are you on? My backlight is a cold white, just like the sleep light on the latch.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
yippy said:
I rarely use it but it is nice (and looks awsome) when I do.

Green? What are you on? My backlight is a cold white, just like the sleep light on the latch.

weird the ones that i saw at the applestore in braintree (set up ones that people can't touch in front window) I thought it was green? maybe just because it was 5AM and i hadn't gone to sleep so i could be first in line at the store for tax free day is the reason i am mistaken?

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Could have been the lighting in the store or maybe a realy dirty keyboard?

Anyway, you can judge for yourself here. About in the middle of the page there is a picture of the backlight in action.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
eva01 said:
weird the ones that i saw at the applestore in braintree (set up ones that people can't touch in front window) I thought it was green? maybe just because it was 5AM and i hadn't gone to sleep so i could be first in line at the store for tax free day is the reason i am mistaken?

mine is cold white. even half a bottle of wodka couldn't change that. if you saw it light up green you must have been on something strong....... :D

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I don't find it that useful. I find the screen lights up the keyboard well enough. And I get short enough battery life as it is.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
i love the backlit keyboard on my powerbook. the colour is a cold white, or if you are in subtly different lighting conditions, it can be considered blue. i find this also happens with the apple logo on the powerbook lid. i also love this:D

i find it very productive, and prefer it to a desk lamp lighting the keyboard (therefore i use the lamp for other things.)

once i started using it on a sunny afternoon, left the computer on while i went out and when i came back at dusk, there was the keyboard, all lit and ready to go.

well done apple. (as if you havent had that enough for this PB feature:D)

tastic

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
I don't like the backlit keyboard on the rev c Powerbooks. They were improved for the rev D, weren't they?

From the angle I'm normally looking at the screen with the back lights on, I can't see the top row of keys clearly. They're just too dim to be useful.

It's really just an "ooooooo ahhhh" feature to show people.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
After I got my 12" PB I was so bummed because only the larger models sport the coolness... I've obviously functioned just fine w/out that feature-- but it is very very very appealing to me. But as other posters have mentioned, one turn off for me is the battery drain... But it looks so convenient and purdy! :eek:

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
EGT said:
I don't like the backlit keyboard on the rev c Powerbooks. They were improved for the rev D, weren't they?

From the angle I'm normally looking at the screen with the back lights on, I can't see the top row of keys clearly. They're just too dim to be useful.

It's really just an "ooooooo ahhhh" feature to show people.

Its 10 tmies brighter in rev D PBs... So yeah, i think its been fixed...

So most iBookers dont like it? I think its awesome :)

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
On my Rev C PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz 15" I use it all the time. Actually I've found myself using the PowerBook much more than the Power Mac G5, I probably should sell one but that is another story. KB back light = GREAT!

y0zza

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
UK
Love the backlit keyboard. I wonder why other laptops don't sport one.

A pic:
DSC00261s.JPG

Not the best quality pic, but you get the idea. It looks a bit whiter than the pic, which is a tad blue, but the phone camera (K750i) has some problems dealing with the white balance between the incandescent bulb and the white LEDs.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
its probably because of the light up keyboard but im certainly getting a rev a/b 15" mactel powerbook :) with DVD writer.

my 12" PB was a test to see if i could use a mac effectively. and now i've passed that test. its a higher model for me next :D

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
raggedjimmi said:
its probably because of the light up keyboard but im certainly getting a rev a/b 15" mactel powerbook :) with DVD writer.

my 12" PB was a test to see if i could use a mac effectively. and now i've passed that test. its a higher model for me next :D

Thats an expensive test...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.