Backlit Keyboard -- Dead?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mac_gal, Aug 19, 2004.

1. mac_gal macrumors member

Jun 23, 2004
    EDIT: Ok, this problem went away after I restarted. It let me use F10 to adjust brightness, and things are fine now.

I don't leave my computer on very often (I shut down / started up just 5 hours ago). If it's a factor, I unplugged my computer from the AC adapter while it was running. I have 10.3.5. Any ideas why the backlighting wasn't working?

Okay, I'm not panicking yet, but lately my new (Rev C, 1.5GHz) Powerbook hasn't had the backlit keyboard come on.

I know it has the backlit keyboard, and I know it worked fine in the past (I've had it on).

I checked System Prefs > Keyboard, and it's set to come on in low light. When I press F10, I get the window in which you adjust the backlit keyboard's brightness, but there's a white circle with a diagonal bar through it at the bottom.

Any thoughts? Is it even possible for a backlit keyboard to go out? Am I just doing something wrong?
  2. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    the ambient light sensors do not think it is dark enough to have the keyboard light up. try shutting down some lights and seeif a darker room then creates the proper settings for the keyboard to lightup
  3. mac_gal thread starter macrumors member

Jun 23, 2004
    Oh yes, it was definetely dark enough. :) The room is just about pitch black.
  4. mac_gal thread starter macrumors member

Jun 23, 2004
    This happened again tonight. The screen doesn't dim and the keys just don't light. The room is completely dark, so I can't imagine what the problem might be?
  5. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I second that. Call Apple. Get a case number in case you need to call back. Make them either tell you what's wrong and how to fix it or fix it themselves.