Backlit Keyboard Question...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by yakisoba, Jul 8, 2004.

1. yakisoba macrumors member

My 15" PB arrived today... HOORAY! It's beautiful, and I love it already.... but I haven't seen the backlit keyboard work. I tried walking into a darkened room with the PB. Nothing happened.... Do I have to turn on a setting?

2. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    press F-10

(do all 15" pb's have backlighting? yours does if there is a little line with dots on top of F9 and F10. F8 turns backlighting off)

3. yakisoba thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I have those icons over my F8 through F10 keys. But they don't seem to do anything. Also, the manual says that there should be a check box for automatic brightness under System Preferences -> Display, and a check box for keyboard illumination under System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse. I don't see either of those check boxes.....

4. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

I got the 1.25 GHz 15". Keyboard back lighting was a BTO option for mine. How fast is it? (1.33 GHz models are standard, not backlit)

5. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

The sensors for the backlights are in the speakers. Cover the speakers with your hands, it should work. If not hit the F10 button in a dark room/closet. It has to be fairly dark for them to turn on.

6. yakisoba thread starter macrumors member

I got the 15" 1.5 GHz model. And my invoice/packing slip says Backlit Keyboard....

I tried taking the book into a closet, and hitting F10. No luck.... bummer

7. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

Send it back, have Apple fix it.

8. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Bring it to your nearest Apple store 1st and have 'em check it out. But sounds like you got a dud.

9. yakisoba thread starter macrumors member

Dang it.... I was afraid you'd say something like that.... I am going to call Apple in the morning.

I suppose I have to pay shipping to send the darned thing back to them...

10. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Check your System Preferences!

You have to make sure that the keys will illuminate under low light conditions.

Go into system preferences, keyboard and mouse. There is a check box at the bottom of that preference pane that says 'illuminate keyboard in low light conditions'. Make sure this option is checked..

It should work now

aussie_geek

11. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

yeah and to add to that make sure that the option of turn it of underneath the checkbox is set to never (just for good measure....

ive never heard of a faliure but its possible....

hope it turns out ok for you

12. fingers macrumors regular

fingers

I was a bit concerned when i got my new PB that the backlight wasn't working. Tried everything to cover up the keyboard to simulate darkness - all to no avail.. Then when night fell - hey presto - one glorious backlighted keyboard. I don't know how they have done it - but I am very impressed by the ambient light switch. My hats off to the Apple design team. :cool:

I hope your "problem" is the same as mine. ;)

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Nope :)

14. Toeknee macrumors regular

Toeknee

Well if the backlight isnt working try opening up system preferences and take a look in the keyboard menu... if you cant see the option for the backlight then you got a hardware problem. I would know because my coworkers just broke and Apple got him to do all sorts of things to his PB. He's gotten the box to send it back to Apple.

15. yakisoba thread starter macrumors member

Well, I spent half an hour on the phone with Apple Care this morning, and we went through all the rigamaroll....

Since I don't have the checkboxes for keyboard illumination in my System Preferences, they think it's a hardware issue, and I have a box coming to ship it back to them.....

16. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yeah, sounds like hardware. Sorry that happened to you.

to all those that replied to this thread: he stated quite clearly that he didn't have those checkboxes in System Preferences, and that he took it in an entirely dark room, would you people please bother to read the thread before responding?!

paul

17. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

all this answering post and no play makes paul a grumpy boy ;)

18. yakisoba thread starter macrumors member

Well, I have no choice to be impressed. Apple sent me a pre-paid box, and Airborne Express picked it up on Tuesday at 4:30 pm, bound for Houston, TX. Airborne Express dropped my repaired Powerbook off on Thursday morning at 10:30 am from Houston. Not bad....