Backlit keyboard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by amyhre, Sep 19, 2004.

1. amyhre macrumors member

I'm looking at buying a PowerBook, possibly used. I'd like the backlit keyboard, but not sure that will be possible if I buy say a 1.33 GHz that hadn't been purchased with that option. I guess what I'm wondering is, if I get a PowerBook that doesn't have backlit, can I buy a backlit keyboard later on and install it or something?

2. Nawlins macrumors member

The keyboards on iBooks are removable, but the keyboards on Powerbooks are not. I think that's why the keys on iBooks are a bit softer. So, I don't think you can get a backlit keyboard installed unless you call Apple, cancel your order, and order another Powerbook with the backlit keyboard as a built to order option.

Alex

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Actually you can remove the keyboard on the pbooks. You have to remove 2-4 F keys(which ones I forgot) they have screws under them. You unscrew them and off goes the keyboard. I will be back on which keys. But, you can not replace the keyboard with the backlit.

EDIT: You have to remove the F1,F2,F11, and F12 keys with a small flat head screw driver

4. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

Why not? Aren't the keyboards on all sizes identical?

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Not enough room to fit the lights, sensors, and all the wires that will control the backlit keyboard.

6. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

If I am not completely mistaken the backlit Keyboard models use different top cases to accommodate the backlighting strips, the light sensors, etc...

7. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I didn't realize that was possible on the new PowerBooks. I thought all keyboard replacements had to go through Apple now. Although, users have posted that when their keyboard went bad they had to send the computer in to Apple, so maybe it still isn't considered a customer installable part, even though it sounds pretty easy to do (assuming you don't have backlights).

8. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

it might be POSSIBLE to let apple install the backlit afterwards, but i suspect this would cost you a lot more than if you just purchased such a powerbook that already has it. so don't try to cut corners here.

i'd like to add that having owned titanium and aluminum powerbooks, i actually prefer the titanium keyboard in good light. it is a lot easier to read white letters from black background than dark grey letters from light grey background; it's all about contrast; however, nothing beats the backlit keyboard in a dark room - i just love it. and in dark room aluminum's keyboard is kind of useless without the backlight...

so... just put in the money to get the good keyboard. it's worth it.

9. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

10. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

if you really want to have a backlit keyboard... you can do it yourself. there's a site out there that shows how a guy added a 'backlit' keyboard to his iBook (or might have been a PB). i think that site was Apple Fritter, just search and ye should find it.

11. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

here's a kit to put a backlit keyboard on a tibook. it's not the same backlight and doesn't have the ambient light sensor but it is a backlight and it is for a keyboard

12. criana macrumors member

criana

What if you had the parts

What about this? It's the actual part number of the backlit keyboard and this site sells it.

http://mac-pro.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=pbtikey15b&Category_Code=pp

Replacement Apple Keyboard for PowerBook G4 15" Aluminum- BackLit #922-6105

Quantity in Basket:none
    Code: pbtikey15b
    Price:$137.77
    Shipping Weight: 1.50 pounds
    Apple Replacement Keyboard for PowerBook G4 15" aluminum 1.25 Ghz.

Damaged keyboard? Give your PowerBook new life with a new set of keys. Genuine Apple. Part #922-6105. Part Number will not be listed on your keyboard.

For use with All PowerBook G4 15" Aluminum Backlite Models.
    New. 6 Month Warranty.

---

So I'm just wondering, is it just a matter of the case being able to fit the backlit keyboard better? how much of a difference are we talking? And is it just a matter of putting the keyboard in, OR, is there other hardware requirements to getting the backlit keyboard to work.

13. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

its not worth 137 i dont get anypleasure out of mine at all.... i turn it off all the time.... when its dark its easier to see the keys with it off....if the keys were lit on the normal keyboard that were away from the monitor that would be coool....but not that great imho

14. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Off topic, but...love the new avatar, although I thought the old one was pretty cool, too. Gee, only another 300 or so posts and I can add my own...

15. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

This appears to be a replacement part if you already have a backlit kb that is damaged.
    I found this ugly link info on Apple Discussions:

http://www.pbparts.com/shop/a15kb.html

and

http://www.pbparts.com/shop/a15bpr.html

So, for a scant $400 you can switch out the kb for a backlit one :(

16. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

um gee, thanks :eek: