Backlite keyboard worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bmwdmb1, May 9, 2004.

1. bmwdmb1 macrumors newbie

Just a quick question, is the backlite keyboard upgrade on the 15" 1.33GHz Powerbook actually worth it. Does it actually make that big of a difference? :confused:

Thanks

2. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

i got it, and personally i don't think its that great. the screen lights up the keyboard enough that it makes it kind of redundant.

3. Elbeano macrumors regular

I have the 12" powerbook, and personally I would like the backlit keyboard. From what I've seen from the two buttons that actually do light up on the 12" (the caps lock and I think F6), I think it would come in rather handy at night. I know when I'm tying away I never look down at the keyboard, so most of the time it isn't a concern. However, when I actually have to find something other and I don't have my hands in proper typing position, it is a pain. The only problem is, it's pretty tough to test out, even in the apple store since the lights are so stinking bright. I would be interested to see a picture of it in action though. I think someone needs to get on the horn and do that. Take a picture with the screen light off, and the backlight on, so we can see what we're up against here. I'm actually somewhat suprised that apple doesn't have a picture of a nice 15" glowing away on the website. They're missing out.

4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

It's great for people who can't type and look at the keyboard every 2 seconds. Ooooh, lights!

5. Bhennies macrumors 6502

I chose to get a stock 1.33 ghz 15" and happy I did. i haven't had the need for a backlit keyboard yet. Is it something you WANT or NEED? That's the question. You can use that money in many other ways.

6. bmwdmb1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree a pic would be great....if someone could post one I would really appreciate it :D

Thanks

7. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

i agree

I have the 17incher, and its not that great of a backlight. They needed it to glow like red or yellow or something, the white glow matches the silver perfectly, and t makes it worse sometimes.
    Andreas

8. admiraldennis macrumors regular

Can you type without looking at the keys? If you answered 'no' to this question, then the backlit keyboard is for you.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I love the backlight, you don't think you need it but if you have it you can't live without it.

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

The backlit keyboard is like fine wood accents in a luxury car, no one needs them, but it's a nice touch. If you look at Macs as the luxury computer, some of Apple's decisions make more sense.

paul

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

For me any "glow" in low light would be nice to have....

12. BackInTheSaddle macrumors regular

BackInTheSaddle

Nice but not necessary

I've actually owned each of the various form factors in the PowerBook series (12", 15" and 17"). While the "coolness" of an illuminated keyboard is undeniable, I haven't found it to be of much practical use. The illumination is not particularly helpful except in very dark rooms, and the reflectivity of the keys is such that the illumination seems to reduce legibility at times because it reduces the contrast between the key lettering and the surrounding key surface. Generally speaking, I find the light from the screen sufficient to see the keyboard.

13. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

I'd get the backlit keyboard. It onlys cost $69 US and if you don't like it you can always turn it off in the system prefernces.... ;)

Just my 2c

aussie_geek

14. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

i don't think it is that it is that great, but it is kinda nifty though. for the $60 cost i think, why not just get it? you are already spending a ton of money.

15. win_convert macrumors member

Funny you say that, I hate the woodgrain in luxury cars, its like, hello? we stopped using wood 100 years ago.

16. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

17. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Yeah, I would say it is definatelly worth it.
    So great to see the keyboard light up when the room get darker! :)

18. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I was on a late afternoon flight a few weeks ago.. during the flight, the guy across from me reached up and got out his Dell laptop. It was dark in the cabin, he turned it on and open ms word. I'm sitting here watching the guy, I see him squint... he leans down and looks closely at the keys... then raises up and reaches for the reading light.

I laughed out loud. I realized that I am a tech-elitest, but the ambient light sensor is great to have.

Also, if you're surrounded by Windozer's... having little features like the backlit keyboard is a great way to make them jealous. Whenever I'm with someone who hasn't seen it, I'll go "check check this out..." and flip off the lights... While I'm at it I uisually show entourage also. I get comments like "why doesn't windows have that?" all the time. :)

19. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

You gave me an awful flashback to my dads old stationwagon from the 60's. Genuine plastic wood, white paint, red carpet.

ouch...

20. Ozi macrumors regular

Ozi

yeah im getting it, but im a Uni geek so I kinda want it for bragging rights. :D

that and it will be cool in lectures, for it to turn on when th lecturer turns the lights off. :) (and I open Halo... LMAO!)

21. Godfather macrumors member

I know it's not really needed. I can type blind. But the lights are just one of the finishing touches, which distinct apple from Bill gates' horror machines...