Backoff Apple! Don't want iTunes in dock...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by The Past, Mar 13, 2006.

1. The Past macrumors 6502

Did not find it in search, so here it goes. More of a rant. Why does Apple bully me to keep iTunes in the dock? Each time I upgrade (the 20MB updates they release thrice a day!), the installer plants the icon in my dock (not even a prompt). I paid for it and I will place it wherever I want to. This is so Microsoftish, telling users what should be on their desktop/dock.

Anyone else feels this way?

2. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

well they give you the option to remove it from the dock aswell.. so, i don't feel that way.

3. iGav macrumors G3

No. Not really.

4. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Yeah really. Just drag the damn thing out and get on with your life...

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

6. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

It's just an assumption that most people would be using iTunes as the default music application. Being Mirosoft-ish would suggest that the operating system doesn't run without it.

7. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

hmm... I think they're just lazy, Microsoftish is too big a word. I think most developers (myself included) have this mentality:
    (dev1):shall I ask the user if they want to add the icon to the dock?
    (dev2):meh, they can remove it themselves if they don't like it, don't bother...

8. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I was so upset by having iTunes in my dock, I was under suicide watch. :p :rolleyes:

9. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

They also only place it in your dock when you update it. Correct me if I am wrong but updating software usually means that you are using it. So they aren't even trying to get you to use it because you already are.

10. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Indeed - a further assumption being that if you are updating the app, then you are also wanting to use it, so putting it in the dock gives you easy access to your shiny new program. It doesn't take much effort to drag it off the dock if it really bothers you.

Edit: Snap, Yippy :)

11. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Some programs I use always want to put icons in the dock on installing or upgrading - I think the authors kind of view the dock as similar to the Windows "Programs" menu. I carry a lot of icons in my dock, but I know folks who are minimalist as well. If it were a real pain to remove program icons, then perhaps I'd take a different view - but, it's so easy to add and remove, I can't imagine that the one or two seconds it takes to accomplish this for every icon really adds up to anything.

What I do find unnerving is when I've done OS updates or other Apple installations that completely reset my dock to "default."

12. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Really? This bugs you? Can't imagine what else bugs you.

13. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I think I will sue Apple for the distressed caused by having this happen.

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I agree with The Past.

I installed iLife '06 and didn't like seeing new apps appear in my dock (iWeb, for one) even though I had just purchased it. The dock is a set of personal preferences. Don't mess with them.

If an installer has a hankering to add apps to my dock, it should ask me first.

15. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Step 1: Drag icon out of dock
    Step 2: Run to the doctor. If this bothers you this much you may have an issue with your blood pressure.

I'd hate to see any heart attacks that could've been prevented :D

16. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Yeah... I really don't see why you wouldn't want iTunes in your dock, but if it's p*ssing on your parade that much then just drag it out.

I'm pretty sure that Apple puts iTunes in your dock because as of right now that and the iPod is what is keeping them afloat.

17. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I hope that you're not really getting prompted to upgrade 3x a day. :p
    Yeah, I do agree that it's annoying to have a given icon either appear or re-appear after updating...

But I love taking things outta the dock too much to get upset. :eek: Love that little puff of a cloud!

18. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I hate to contradict a MR "god" but I just don't see what the big deal about that is. I assume Apple set it's software to do that because you just shelled out $70-80 on a new set of applications and it's putting the new apps in the easiest place to see (rather than the desktop)

19. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Switch to Windows. Microsoft NEVER does anything like THAT :rolleyes:

20. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Have to agree with that. One of my favorite little things in OSX!
    :D

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

22. jdechko macrumors 68040

I agree. My windows desktop continually becomes cluttered with crap from installing software. But I do think the programs should ask if you want to create the shortcuts. iTunes for Windows asks if you want a desktop shortcut, and it can't be too hard to program.

23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

My status as an administrator doesn't make my opinions any better or worse than anyone else's.

The new-app-in-Dock issue is definitely not a "big deal" to me, and of course takes only a split second to change if I don't like it. My comment is based on a principle, not a problem I care much about. The principle is that applications should not make changes in your settings unless they need to, or at least without giving you a choice.

Perhaps a better example would be if you invoked a web browser you wanted to try out and it changed your settings to become your default web browser without asking you. That's a case where I would expect most users to find fault with the software, based on the same principle.

Here's another case: I've installed StuffIt, many dozens of times, on computers at the school where I help out. Every time I install it, it puts an alias of itself on the desktop, and I routinely delete it. It's guessing that I'd like to have the alias, and it's guessing wrong.

The author of an application is likely to have an inflated opinion of the application's importance, which is why I think they tend to assume you'll find their application important enough to keep aliases in your Dock, on your Desktop, or elsewhere. It's true for a few of them, but I should be deciding this, not them.

24. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I suppose we will just have to agree to disagree