Backpack for 17" PB and EOS 10D

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by RHutch, May 18, 2004.

1. RHutch macrumors 6502

May 21, 2003
    Amsterdam, OH
    I have heard wonderful things about the Brenthaven backpacks for the 17" PB's. I looked at one at an Apple Store, but it was before I got my laptop, and I didn't look that closely. I have also looked at Tenba bags. I plan to carry my laptop and my EOS 10D and accessories together quite a bit. I could get a backpack for the PB and a shoulder bag for the 10D. That is one possibility. The Tenba backpack will carry everything at once, but it doesn't appear to have a removable sleeve for the PB.

If you have the Brenthaven, a Tenba, or another laptop backpack, please let me know what you think of it. Also, if someone has experience with using a single bag for laptop/digital SLR or opinion about using two separate bags, please let me know that as well.

I am looking for ease of use and comfort as well as total cost.

I got good advice when I asked for some help with a wireless router last week, so I thought I would try it again here.

Thanks is advance for your help.
  2. aricher macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    I have the Brenthaven Backpack for my PB 17 and my Nikon gear - everything fits very well. Love this backpack. If you're looking for a hard cased backpack you may want to check out axio's "fuse' backback - it's made specifically for a PB and photo gear.
  3. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2003
    Have a look at these

I have been looking at getting one of these.

You can find better prices if you do a search in google.

Hope this helps....

4. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

Jun 2, 2004

Some of those bags look amazing, however they scream "STEAL ME."

I would get something a bit more inconspicuous. I have a Nikon D70, so i know where you are coming from. I'm debating between a 15" and a 17" any ideas, and is it worth the extra $500?
  5. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    I love my 17" Brenthaven bag. It's so well padded and comfy... buying any other bag would be a mistake.

The shoulder straps are so comfortable that you won't have to worry about it getting stolen, cuz you'll never want to take it off.

I can carry my 17" PB, plus 11x17 drafting pads, a full size text books or an external firewire drive in it. Tons of room, tons of pockets.. a great goddamn bag.
  6. t300 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2004
    AXIO bags all the way! The coolest things EVER!
  7. Mustafa macrumors regular

Jun 23, 2003
    Shenfield, Essex, UK
    I have recently bought...

.....a LowePro CompuTrekker for my 15" PB and 10D, and I think the whole combo is way too heavy to carry around on assignments. I have only two lenses (and not heavy L types, either) and I carry a 420 flash, a couple of mains adaptor/chargers, a Palm and some small bits, so not an excessive kit - I could get several more things in.

The bag itself offers great protection, and I was able to carry it on a Virgin Atlantic flight as hand baggage, so kudos for that. But I'm using it just as a storage case, and I unload things I want into a much lighter (and less noticeable) bag to carry around -- which generally means leaving the PB in my hotel room, which makes me nervous. So it hasn't given me the solution I wanted.

I don't know if there's a larger version that would take a 17" PB (the 15" only just goes in), but I suggest you would really want to make sure you can tote the whole thing whichever bag you buy.
  8. mrviga macrumors member

Jan 13, 2004
    I use the ogio metro bag to carry around my 17" PB and all of my books. Its built to take all the abuse a college student can throw at it. Awesome bag, but a tight fit. Im afraid of the zipper scratching the finish of the PB. Oh well, I guess it adds character. :)